Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless steel braided hoses for tranny hose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stainless steel braided hoses for tranny hose?

Has anybody here using them? If so please post some pictures. I'm trying to figure out everything to fix my leaky rubber tranny hose problem. Hose clamps aren't holding the pressure as a matter of fact I think it is also leaking at where the metal tubing transition to rubber hose.

Are you guys using ~AN fittings? I need direction so any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used a compession fitting on the tube end and then a pushlock fitting with pushlock hose. no leaks yet. been 8 months.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Trunion King

Cool!^^^ I didn't think compression fitting would work. Thanks. If any more info you guys can chime in please.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Of note there should never be a different of more that 5 psi between inlet and out let presures, The clamps should be holding maybe a restricted cooler ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Of note there should never be a different of more that 5 psi between inlet and out let presures, The clamps should be holding maybe a restricted cooler ?
If restricted cooler, wouldn't my tranny over heat and crap out? I'll check into this also. I can't possibly think what would cause a restriction.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Colapsed rubber lines are possible and no on overheating you may get just enough

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 AM
FormerVendor

My experience is a bit different than grn95t/a in that the cars running the PushLock style fittings that I have been privy to have suffered leaks or catastrophic failures on hard passes.

I have plenty of experience with these type fittings in other apps., but have seen my fair share of them come apart on cooler lines. It is important to say that I have never relied on them for transmission cooler lines, therefore I have no 1st hand experience.

Just a word of caution. You do not want to have a cooler line rupture on a hard pass.... it can get ugly.

g

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 12-30-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
My experience is a bit different than grn95t/a in that the cars running the PushLock style fittings that I have been privy to have suffered leak or catastrophic failures on hard passes.

I have plenty of experience with these type fittings in other apps., but have seen my fair share of them come apart on cooler lines. It is important to say that I have never relied on them for transmission cooler lines, therefore I have no 1st hand experience.

Just a word of caution. You do not want to have a cooler line rupture on a hard pass.... it can get ugly.

g
Hey I actually agree with you Gilbert

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-30-2007, 03:05 AM
TECH Resident

I was having the same problems with leaking rubber hoses and I got lucky when I purchased my TH400 in that it came with a B&M supercooler with AN fittings and braided lines. Looks great and zero leaks. The kit to do this is a bit pricey but well worth it.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:58 AM
Teching In

I'm using Aeroquip FC332 push-on spec hose on my cooler lines without any issues.

It has a working temperature of up to 150'c, 250psi working pressure and 1000psi burst pressure.

Ive never measured the pressure on the cooler lines, but my understanding is that its the oil from the torque convertor, through the cooler and back to the pan - so the pressure isn't likely to be particulary high. It's not the mainline pressure (which can get up to around 250-270psi) as i understand it.

This stuff:
http://www.thinkauto.com/pushon1.htm

And that was also after seeing someones cooler line come loose on the strip, which wrecked the car.

HTH,
Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

My experience is a bit different than grn95t/a in that the cars running the PushLock style fittings that I have been privy to have suffered leaks or catastrophic failures on hard passes.

g

i could see that happening if the wrong hose was being used.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by revtime
I was having the same problems with leaking rubber hoses and I got lucky when I purchased my TH400 in that it came with a B&M supercooler with AN fittings and braided lines. Looks great and zero leaks. The kit to do this is a bit pricey but well worth it.
That's what I'm currently looking for online.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Trunion King

g
Obviously you know more about this stuff than I do, so what would you recommend?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by eliotmansfield
I'm using Aeroquip FC332 push-on spec hose on my cooler lines without any issues.

It has a working temperature of up to 150'c, 250psi working pressure and 1000psi burst pressure.

Ive never measured the pressure on the cooler lines, but my understanding is that its the oil from the torque convertor, through the cooler and back to the pan - so the pressure isn't likely to be particulary high. It's not the mainline pressure (which can get up to around 250-270psi) as i understand it.

This stuff:
http://www.thinkauto.com/pushon1.htm

And that was also after seeing someones cooler line come loose on the strip, which wrecked the car.

HTH,
That's very good info, thank you.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bene
Obviously you know more about this stuff than I do, so what would you recommend?
For high performance racing applications I recommend that at the transmission ATI Quick Disconnect Cooler Lines p.n. 925170 be attached to the transmission fittings and then go directly to a cooler located close to the tranny. Or if the lines need to be brought to the frt of the car then use A/N fittings and a high quality hose. Steel braid is not necessary but can be a wise investment.

What I do is call a call our local hydraulic hose co. and give them the specs for my current project. They in turn build hoses for the application using a high grade hydraulic hose and machine compressed hose ends and fittings.

In street apps... our technician Mike, simply cuts the existing steel lines where necessary and then flares the tubing and then completes the installation.

g
Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had rubber hoses blow off the 'glide lines in my El Camino
but fixed that problem by using two worm glamps instead of
one. No leaks. No leaks on my cooler setup just using the
rubber hoses that came with, over the stock flares with hose
clamp. For better integrity you could get a flare to pipe and
pipe to barb, or maybe even turn up a flare to barb adaptor.

I have never had a rubber hose blow out (only off). So I think
braided stainless is only bling overkill for this, if you can get
the ends to hold tight.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by grn95t/a
i used a compession fitting on the tube end and then a pushlock fitting with pushlock hose. no leaks yet. been 8 months.

Can you PM me where you got your fittings?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

pm sent
Old 01-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by grn95t/a
pm sent
Thanks man.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

no problem.

Quick Reply: Stainless steel braided hoses for tranny hose?