Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E troubleshooting...(v6 version)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E troubleshooting...(v6 version)

Ok...so here's what i'm seein in the transmission...

2nd and 3rd gear slip. by slip i mean *hypothetical/real situation* at 3500 constant throttle, let up on throttle, trans stays in current gear and engine drops to around idle speed, then jumps back up when i give it gas...

3rd gear sticks a bit before shifting to 4th.

not to mention something rattling...

and would a busted transmission cause an odd idling in the car?

and would a busted transmission cause a car that is traveling at 74mph suddenly sputter and die? cuz it did that. a couple times...but didn't throw any codes>.....???!??!?!??! had to completely stop to get it started again...but it started right up!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:44 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With out driving the vehicle it is kind of hard to diagnose. Kinda weird that it died going 74 mph. I would take a look at the vehicle grounds to make sure that they are all tight. Sounds like an wiring issue to me. How does the fluid in the trans look? Have you done anything recently to the vehicle that could of caused this?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

the only thing i did to the car was add a K&N FIPK...otherwise i did nothing to it except tune it up...oil, plugs, belt....
i checked the fluid and it looked normal...but it was slightly low so i added some more...i'll have to check it again to see if it is losing fluid or not...

i'm going to take it to a local aamco here this week to see what they think...
Old 12-30-2007, 08:56 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Sounds good let us know what you find. Vince
Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blahster
the only thing i did to the car was add a K&N FIPK.
Well, that's probably the problem right there. Did you oil the filter?

Go to Advance Auto or wherever and pick up a $7 bottle of MAF cleaner. There may be oil all over your MAF. Getting the MAF dirty can cause your transmission to act screwy. It could even cause complete transmission failure.

When the MAF gets dirty, it sometimes causes a spike it transmission line pressure. This, over time, will cause premature wear on the clutches inside the transmission and eventually will lead to failure. I've also heard of bad or seriously dirty MAF's causing the car to shut off at cruise.

Cleaning the MAF may fix ALL your problems. It may be causing the messed up shifting and idling issues. However, there is a chance that it may be too late and the dirty MAF caused your clutches to fail

Let me know if this fixes your problem! Please, do this before you take it to a shop. It's probably the last thing they'd check. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a $7 can of MAF cleaner saves your day.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Was gonna say to much oil on the filter choco that would be the first place to look is where the trouble started at . I see alot of guys with the oiled K&N have issues ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-31-2007, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

well, that might be a problem...unless the maf is built-in to the throttle body...i didn't see a maf on my V6...
Old 12-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know where it is on the V6 either, but it's gotta be there somewhere. It must be a built in part. Locate it and clean it and my guess is that'll solve your problems...but I've been wrong before
Old 12-31-2007, 01:10 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It (MAF) is in your TB.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

i think that will be my first check....these problems are TOTALLY intermittent and random...so it's defnitely electronic something...i'll have to make sure everything is in place where it's supposed to be and tightened down, i.e. grounds, etc...
Old 01-01-2008, 07:37 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

The maf is a good place to start along with the grounds. I did not think about the maf in my earlier posts but does make sense. Good luck. Vince
Old 01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

well i know it's been a while since I posted here....but...

i cleaned the maf. holy crap that thing was dirty!

also went to AAMCO...they said there was nothing wrong with the trans...i'm like...uh ok. it was a quart and a half low i guess tho...lol.

but they said it threw a crankshaft position sensor out of range code...so i guess that would explain the random *** hardcore stumbles and recoveries....lol.

but what gets me is this....

i'll be drivin at aroun 30-35 in 2nd or 3rd gear and let off the gas and it will act like it's slipping by dropping down to idle then back up when i give it gas....and it won't do it when i manually put it in gear....i dunno...lol it drives...at least until i can get my z28 out here...lol.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

ok on thE "SLIPING" assuming you mean when you let off the gas cruising around in the OD position the engine returns to near idle . That would be normal in the 4l60e theres no overunin the OD position and due to the input sprag when to let off the gas it works kinda like a ten speed bikes petels your feet stop but the bike keeps rolling. Now when in the lower manual gears this is bypassed and it will drag the engine.
Hope this helps

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

indeed it does. that makes me feel much better about my camaro...
Old 07-18-2012, 04:55 PM

Default 4l60e troubleshooting

My 4L60E I just rebuilt it and put back in my truck. The issue I'm having is that it will not work in OD or D, but will work in L1,L2,and R. It's not the forward spragg its fine. Have the power pack for 3-4 clutches that contains 9 friction disc with it. My clearance on the forward clutch are set at... 030" and my 3-4 clearance is the same. Which the instructions for the rebuild kit said to set the 3-4 between. 025-.040 for the best shift performance from 2nd to 3rd. Have already pulled once did some adjustments and put back in and it is still doing the same thing. Really need some help here.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sure sounds like the forward sprag to me. Are you sure you put it in correctly? Putting it in upside down would also give this symptom.
Also, do NOT try WOT until you solve this or you will ruin the overrun clutches and possibly the entire input drum.

Finally - you really should have started a new thread for this.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM

I started to take apart my 4l60e transmission and got stuck when trying to take out the front planetary gears. I noticed that the gears were pretty worn out and since I was unable to pull the gears out like I read the book I am using , I tried to pry it out but it still won't budge. Any suggestions on what else I can try?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Did you remove the Snap ring that holds the planetary to the output shaft?

Quick Reply: 4L60E troubleshooting...(v6 version)