Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car didnt want to shift into 3rd.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car didnt want to shift into 3rd.

today i jump on it alittle hard then went wot around 40 mph so their was no downshift just a 2nd gear pull. well when it came time for the car to shift into 3rd it would it would just hand their. i let of the gas alittle and it shifted.

when i got home popped the hood and i could see steam coming up through the trans dipstick not alot but it was their.

do i have a transmission going out or is my 3rd gear going bad?

my trans oil looks alittle low but anytime i try to put more in their it winds up shooting it back up the dipstick. i never get reliable reading form it sense we did a pan drop and changed out the filter and trans oil.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Steam coming from dipstick and it looking low is where I would start. The trans need to be full . If its spitting back out the dipstick you need to check that the vent is not blocked on top of the trans , if it is air cannot escape and the fluid will burp back out.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-13-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default location of the air vent

if im directly under my car feet pointing to the rear of the car head basically under the trans pan. where is this air vent at? is it on driver or passenger side. or like up on top?
and say it is just air vent issue and was alittle low. would the tranny slipping some that day and get heated mean some severe damage was done?

under light and even medium to somewhat heavy acceleration right now shists are perfect. just that couple times when i was fully wot it wouldnt shift from 2-3.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like you are getting the trans very hot for this to happen. What are your trans temps when this happens and what is the stall of the converter you are running? These are things to look at and keeping it cool might be the key to your success here. The vent tube is located on the passanger side of the trans. Here is a photo for you. The little tube above the cooler lines is where the vent is located in the case. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 01-13-2008 at 09:47 AM.