Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e help, i need a tranny genius please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry 4l60e help, i need a tranny genius please!

Ok, heres the deal. I have a 2002 camaro z28 with a 4l60e. When i got the car it had aftermarket gears. My warrenty put my gears back to stock. I had mti tune the car for the stock 3.23 ratio. The car bounced off the rev limiter once between shift every time i would shift. Im not sure which gear. I dont remember since it was a while back. Anyways it did this before and after i had the car tuned. Since then i have put a 160 thermostat, headers/catback, ported maf, ported tb, lid and slp smooth bellows. The bouncing off the rev limiter has gotten worse since i raced the car... it would bounce off 1 to 3 times in between cirtain shifts... not sure.... anyways a while back i overheated my transmission at the track and it would bounce off the rev limiter 3 or 4 times every time it would shift when in drive. If i shift 1-2 with the shifter it would shift fine... also i had metal shavings in my fluid and black stuff with a burnt smell in my fluid when i changed it. I took it to a guy who builds transmissions and he said he doesnt want to work on my transmission because he thinks that the transmission mainly wont shift because of tuning. I was wondering what sensor or sensors in the transmission could go bad that would cause it to shift properly with the shifter but not when it shifts by itself, or do you think it is a tuning problem? I personally think something is burnt up.... oh also there are no codes from the computer or wierd noises coming from the transmission. I appreciate any stories or advice on similar cases... i also seek professional advice! Oh yeah i forgot to mention that i had it tuned by mti after all the mods and mti said it was the transmission...

Last edited by youguessit; 01-02-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I personally think you started with a possible tuning problem that resulted in a trans problem, Metal in pan really bad thing , You need a trans then you need to test the first time if ever it bounces you need to look at the tune. Right then

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-03-2008, 12:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can MTI I tell you what it shifts at and what the rev limiter is set at?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Regular

Most likely
Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has been missing shifts and the fluid is burnt along with debris in the pan, it needs to come out and be freshened up / built.

I would say that yes tuning plays a huge part in the longevity of one of these units. I am certain that during our R&D program we lost more than one unit to tuning. There were times when the engine power output was increased and gears were swapped when we would be freshening up the given tranny... but the tuning was not modified until we took it to the track. I know that we hit the rev limiter more than a few times with those units before we dialed them in. Those units did not live long.

After those experiences we made significant changes to the way we manage the shifts internally to compensate for tuning inadequacies. Since then, we have not experienced these issues... not to say we won't... but to date they have been fine.

Just some observations and experiences I thought I would share... hope that info helps.

g
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Red face

Thanks boys, I just sent it to my local smeed/ tranny shop... they are kinda famous in our area for all the track guys...Its supposed to be good for 555 rwtq... After they build the tranny ill take the car to mti and have them work out any tuning issues... hopefully, wish me luck and ill keep you posted. Oh yeah i called mti and they told me from the records they keep the tuner for my car said my shift settings were all messed up when i brought the car in. Well i guess that explains why the damn thing went out so fast. Whoever had it before me messed **** up.