Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting automatic to 6speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Converting automatic to 6speed

I have a 2002 camaro SS and want to convert it from automatic to 6speed transmission. now i know im gonna get alot of complaints about how i should stick with the auto, and what not, and im also gonna get alot of support for the conversion. i'd appreciate any feedback that you out there might have on whether i should or not, where to find a transmission etc...and yea anything else u think i might need to know. thanks alot guys!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing you need to do is decide on whether or not YOU want a 6 speed. No one here can make that decision for you. Autos rule at the drag strip and are a lot more friendly in heavy city traffic.

Manuals are more fuel efficient, faster on the street and considered by most to be more "fun" to drive.

Assuming you do actually want the six speed there are three ways to do it.

1). Buy all the parts and have them installed. This is by far the most expensive. $2000-2500 in parts and labor could be another grand if you can't do the work yourself.

2). Find a doner M6 car that wants an A4 and you guys swap parts. You swap transmissions, wiring harnesses, ect. Then you both get computers reflashed to accept the new transmissions. This is much cheaper since you're only paying for labor and tuning. Again, assuming you can't do the work yourself. Of course finding manual guys that want an A4 is not easy. Most are either happy with the M6 or want an A3.

3). Sell your A4 car and buy a M6 LS1. This is usually the cheapest and easiest way to get the swap done providing you own the current vehicle or at least arn't rediculously upside down in what it's worth vs what you still owe.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in the manual transmission section. They have the conversion info in the stickies. Also GM High Tech did an auto to manual conversion and gave an entire write up for it, which is the guide I will be using when I convert mine later this month. As far as parts go, look in the classifieds for the parts. That is where I have picked up the majority of my parts, which includes the transmission, hydraulics, pedals, torque arm, clutch etc etc. So far I believe I have around 1600ish wrapped up in parts so far. Im also planning on doing all the work myself which will help alot.

Quick Reply: Converting automatic to 6speed