Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock-up intermittent at highway speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Lock-up intermittent at highway speeds...

...but seems to be fine at lower speeds.

Took my car for a nice highway drive today, but noticed that it wasn't "holding" in lockup when at 65-80mph and at light throttle. At 45-55mph it seems to work, and hold, in lockup normally.

When it would lockup, it might stay locked up for a few minutes or so, then for whatever reason, unlock and stay unlocked for several minutes. This was on flat road at steady speeds.

It acted like this when I first installed camshaft, due to misfire code, but I get no codes. Back then, problem was also very intermittent and pretty much locked or unlocked whenever it damn well pleased...After tuning, it was fine until recently, with today being very noticeable. FWIW, car shifts the same as it ever has, and I notice no other things different when driving.

Is it possible that it still needs tweaking of the misfire tables?

Does ambient temperature have anything to do with this?

It seems that it has only done this since it has gotten cold out.

Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problems, max out the mis-fire codes, that should work..
Old 01-13-2008, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is highly possible for this to be relarted to your tune.

My recommendation would be to Log the transmission PIDs while driving in order to determine why L/U is being inhibited.

Also, what is the fluid condition?

What converter are you running?

How long has this combination been together?

Any changes to the car at all prior to the symptoms?

Go Cowboys!

g
Old 01-13-2008, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
It is highly possible for this to be relarted to your tune.

My recommendation would be to Log the transmission PIDs while driving in order to determine why L/U is being inhibited.

Also, what is the fluid condition?

What converter are you running?

How long has this combination been together?

Any changes to the car at all prior to the symptoms?

Go Cowboys!

g
Fluid "looks" fine, has the nice red/pink color, and doesn't smell.

Converter is PI Vigilante 3600 stall.

Been in the same configuration (converter-wise) for nearly 5 months. Cam added about 4 months ago and re-tuned right after camswap.

No tune changes. Only change was me adding a free flowing single in/single out catback to replace the stocker. Everything else is as it has been for 3-4 months.

Is it possible that the transmission is actually running "too cool" and messing with lockup? I do not have fluid going through the radiator, just through the big aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator. I only ask that because it seems to work fine at slower speeds where there isn't as much cold air going through cooler. Just a thought?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
FormerVendor

Fluid "looks" fine, has the nice red/pink color, and doesn't smell.

Converter is PI Vigilante 3600 stall.
Good... For now we can rule out the converter clutch based on fluid condition.

Been in the same configuration (converter-wise) for nearly 5 months. Cam added about 4 months ago and re-tuned right after camswap.

No tune changes. Only change was me adding a free flowing single in/single out catback to replace the stocker. Everything else is as it has been for 3-4 months.
Can't really condemn anything there either unless the Detonation / Spark KnockTables are too sensitiva and are picking up exhaust pulses.... it happens.
Which takes me back to my Logging comments... let's get some useable data.

Is it possible that the transmission is actually running "too cool" and messing with lockup? I do not have fluid going through the radiator, just through the big aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator. I only ask that because it seems to work fine at slower speeds where there isn't as much cold air going through cooler. Just a thought?
Sure it's possible... but we need to know what the threahold is set at in your PCM. If a Tuner has been in there anything else is just a guess!.

The single biggest reason the manufacturers run Transmission Fluid through Radiators is because they want the unit to be at a certain temperature range. You wouldn't want to make a hard pass on your engine without warming up the bottom end...

So... again we need to know why the TCC is not being commanded... it xould easliy be tied to temp. What sort of outside ambients are you seeing?

g
Old 01-13-2008, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the same thing that happened to me. I had a TCI 3000 and the lock up clutch went bad. The fluid seemed fine then one day my tranny just ****! The pieces from the lockup clutch got into the tranny pump and things happened very quicky from there on out! Like a cobplete rebuilt tranny and a yank SS3600. Hopefully yours is something else. Be very very careful!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed

So... again we need to know why the TCC is not being commanded... it xould easliy be tied to temp. What sort of outside ambients are you seeing?
Today, I think it was mid 40's, maybe 50, but the more I think about it, since it has been cold out, the lockup has been taking longer than usual to engage, generally speaking. I only drive it to work occasionally, and when I notice that coolant temp gauge is already about up to normal (sorry, I forget the number), but the converter doesn't lockup until a few minutes after that.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The converter will not lock untill the engine reaches a pre determined temperature ussually around 130 degrees. But as I answered in the other forum , This sounds like engine missfire to me and no it may not set a code, But the PCM sees a missfire then unlocks the converter then when its dosent detect it for a bit relocks. The converter clutch causes the rpm to drop and then the missfire starts again so it unlocks, I ussually suggest and generally its worked that you max the missfire tables and that will likley fix the problem. The PCM can decide to unlock the converter even with the slightest even un noticable miss .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Teching In

same thing happen to me i did'nt drive my car for two months thinking it was the trans until i swaped out my tps and everything ran fine sounds crazy but true
Old 01-13-2008, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The converter will not lock untill the engine reaches a pre determined temperature ussually around 130 degrees. But as I answered in the other forum , This sounds like engine missfire to me and no it may not set a code, But the PCM sees a missfire then unlocks the converter then when its dosent detect it for a bit relocks. The converter clutch causes the rpm to drop and then the missfire starts again so it unlocks, I ussually suggest and generally its worked that you max the missfire tables and that will likley fix the problem. The PCM can decide to unlock the converter even with the slightest even un noticable miss .
I agree, i dont think its temp related cause we have been seeing 20 and 30 degree days here and mine stays locked.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 PM
FormerVendor

Without hard data we are all speculating based on experience.

Don't hesitate to get back to me, call me even when you can tell me what the temp was and what the PCM was commanding at the time you feel like it should have been locking up.

From there, I can help you to solve the problem! I walk guys through this very scenario at least once or twice a week, and would be happy to do the very same for you as well.

g
Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully I can stop at my tuner's shop tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:03 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds good...

BTW.. nice sig pic.

g
Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks.

Here's the original version:

Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Very nice indeed! Them ole tires are tryin to wrinkle up for ya arent they?

Thanks for that... .check back as I have a similsr pic of a car I used to hang around alot with.

g
Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Thanks.

Here's the original version:

u see those 2in of air there? yea thats why i went with a vig...lol
Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

As I expected, with my tuner sitting in the passenger seat, and his laptop plugged into my diagnostic connector, the lock-up worked fine today....exactly as it should, and exactly as I figured, LOL. He still still made a few changes in the misfire tables and it has been working great so far....
Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

good to hear!!!!