Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E parts interchange DETAIL

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4L80E parts interchange DETAIL

Well after many hours of research I have finally compiled parts for the 4L80e build. To catch you up on previous post....I have a 1998 case (rear lube circuit)...with the help of a ATSG manual I have (with the help of the trans guy) figured out which parts are interchangable / also evaluating what parts came out of the 98 case -vs- the parts that came out of my 1996 case /build...here is what I have found in the 1998 unit....1999 and up are slightly different also......

These highlights are specific for 1998 units (rear lube style)

1. Output shaft has no lube hole (I have a custom 4L80E output shaft made for C5 trans axle setup)

2. intermediate shaft is solid

3. Sun gear shaft has much shorter bearing race surface as compared to the early style before 1998 (in 99 and above this is even .041 shorter)

4. Sun gear has deeper notches and smaller oil hole in it as compared to pre 98 units.....it also goes in with bevel towards ring gear.

5. The palnetaries are .075 wider in 99 and up units. I used the 98 panetaries which are all the same 98 and earlier....also does not use the .041 thick shims....if I were using the wider planetaries I would need the shim.

6. There is also a difference on the ring gear bearing (it has 4 notches) for oiling because no oil goes through the intermediate shaft in 98 and above

7. Carrier has lube hole in it in 98 and above. In 99 and above the sprag diameter, ramp dimension and carrier are all different....you can still use the 98 sprag and carrier setup as I am.

8. pumps that are all sold now are the same ...does not matter if it is rear case oiled 98 or later......or if it is the old style lube set prior than 1998

9. input shafts have shot peened oil passages and are drilled through in all 94 and up models

10. valve body is different only in the fact that it has a different hole for the rear case oil feed tube..1998 and later. The oil feed line is smaller and shorter.

11. All units should use the larger band...this means the pin needs to be changed to the .200 longer pin. In three transmissions torn apart...none of them had the larger pin...it MUST be changed when installing the larger band which is what you get now when you buy a new band. This pin change seems to be VERY overlooked.

All bushings seemed to be identical

Everything else seemed to remain unchanged...according to the ATSG manual and visual inspection.

this is all that was found (unless I have missed something)

Please...only experienced transmission builders post any items I have missed or that are incorrect

Thanks Tom
Old 01-14-2008, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any input?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me get to the shop and review some Seminar Books and the ATSG book you referenced and I'll get some feedback!

Looks like a solid build.

g
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The center support in the center lube units are different than non center lube, same for the bushing, center support bushing is very different, I have recieved rebuild kits with the old (wrong) bushing before, so don't assume whoever put your kit together didn't make a mistake. 97-98 also have a flush bearing surface on the rear side 99 and up have the .041 recess.
Unless you plan to manually downshift alot I wouldn't worry about the front band, use what you have, just use the right pin, as you know, unless you have a 99 and up laying around you probably don't need to worry about having a mismatch there.
EDIT about the band, get one for a th400 and you won't need to worry about the pin, again depends on who puts certain kits together.

Quick Reply: 4L80E parts interchange DETAIL