Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

won't go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default won't go into gear

Just recently about a couple months ago I bought my first automatic f-body car. (other 2 were m6) This trans am has been converted over to a th350 with transbrake, reverse manual valvebody, and I believe 3800 stall from what the previous owner told me. When i first bought the car I only had problems with it not wanting to engage reverse which I read was a common problem with th350 with brakes. I decided to change fluids so I went to my local speed shop and they set me up with tci fluid the green stuff. When I pulled the plug regular red atf was in the case.

After I changed the fluid I've been having problems where when i first start the car the transmition will not engage any gear and when it does engage it kicks in and out of gear until the trans is warm. That is even with me letting the car warm up for 5 minutes previous. But after the car is warm and driven for another couple minutes it engages the gears fine but just doesn't seem to hit the gears as hard as before during shifts with the red fluid. Also it has been noticably colder after I changed the fluid so I don't know if the regular ATF fluid would have done the same thing. Last night when I hoped in the car the outside temp was in the low teens.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't be using the tci fluid and it is to think compared to the regular fluid. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The symptoms you describe sound like the fluid level is low. Particulary if it clears up when warm. I would try addng about 1/2 quart and see what happens.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

I was wondering that also but I was scared about overfilling. I forgot to mention that the dipstick is a braided steel line with a plastic dipstick and I thought i knew where the fill line was and I put it up to where i thought but the fill lines were worn. It is a moroso line. Would you know how far up the stick the fluid level should be? or would you just recommend buying a whole new dipstick and just put the insert in my steel braided line.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont know where it should be on one of those, However 1/2 quart is not going to overfill and you will know if thats your problem then ok

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-15-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

sprag???? mabey but it should just rev up if thats the problem but i have heard of people breaking them and than the tranny wont go into gear but that was on a 4l60e.