Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOt a ? about tuning with new Stall

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GOt a ? about tuning with new Stall

Im having my tranny built and having a 3600 stall put in my car. My ? is do i have to go get my car tuned so it will shift right?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob's 02 SS
Im having my tranny built and having a 3600 stall put in my car. My ? is do i have to go get my car tuned so it will shift right?
Probably. I am finding that my new stall won't stay locked at certain speeds because the lighter TC's cause problems with misfire detection.

There's lots of talk here about this, check the FAQ too.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

I dont think you absolutely have to, but is is definately a good idea. Im having some issues with my car now 3 weeks after a 3400 stall converter was put in. Not sure if a lack of tuning is the problem or just a bum converter. Honestly it never really did act right(Ive had converters in other ls cars this being the only un-tuned one)You should be able to get somebody to do a basic tune just changing the pwm settings, missfire detection, shift times and firmness for $100-$150. Well worth it in my opinion
Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

You could try a Diablo or get HP Tuner or LS1 Edit. I use the HP Tuner MPVI Pro. I use my car as a test bed for my customers for my trans shop. You really should tune your trans AFTER you have your trans built. The tuners fine tune the trans to your driving preferences after modifications. Especially shift firmness, shift timing, lock-up timing, etc... Many tranny shops don't have the tuning capability so you may have to go to a shop that specializes in tuning and has trans tuning experience. Good luck.