Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling trans.... have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pulling trans.... have a few questions.

Alright, well I pulled my motor and trans last weekend and am beginning my teardown and went to pull the trans off and ran into a few bumps. First the Torque converter bolts are not 15mm bolts like I was expecting. They were an allen socket 8mm. So I got two out and the third one decided to be a bitch and strip out. So I decided to drill the head off because the bolt was trashed anyways. Can I change the bolts over to the 15mm hex head now? What size are they and where could I pick them up? The car is a 98' Trans Am and I will be going with a Yank SS4000 converter.

The second question is I took all of the perimeter bolts off of the bellhousing and thought I was good to pull it off, but it wouldn't budge. When I looked closer there are two studs, at 9 and 3 O'clock when looking at the bellhousing from behind. How do I remove these?

The studs are pictured here, both front and back.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/IMG_0860.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/IMG_0859.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/IMG_0858.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/IMG_0857.jpg

Thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't even have it seperated yet??? Those are just to line up the housing. You should just be able to pull it away. Maybe spray some lube in there. Yes you can switch those bolts...napa, lowes, anyplace like that. Good luck
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll want to liberally spray those dowel pins (studs as you call them) with a penetrating lube like WD-40. Let it soak for a while. You'll likely have to yank and shake the transmission while gently prying near the dowel pins to loosen and remove the transmission. Finally, new converter bolts will be supplied with the Yank converter.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Cool. Thanks guys.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what tranny did you decide to go with? Like mentioned above, those dowel pins can be a bitch. When I pulled my tranny I was literally hanging and shaking the tranny and it still didn't come off. I had to use a big pry bar to separate it. You'll get it.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
So what tranny did you decide to go with? Like mentioned above, those dowel pins can be a bitch. When I pulled my tranny I was literally hanging and shaking the tranny and it still didn't come off. I had to use a big pry bar to separate it. You'll get it.
I didn't decide on one yet lol. I already bought the heads and cam and something cam up so I ran a little tight on funds so I'm just doing the H/C first and will be doing the tranny in the next few months when I can save a little more. I don't plan on driving the car much anyways, I'm pretty sure the tranny will hold up for a little while.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hit or miss on stock trannies as to whether they hold up after H/C swaps or not. I've seen many do just fine, and I've seen many crap out immediately. I unfortunately fell into the latter category. My tranny refused to shift from 2-3 at anything past 5800 RPM's on my 1st drive after the cam swap. And I mean literally my first drive. It was a couple weeks later that it completely failed. The only positive to that ordeal was getting the FLT tranny. I still say go that route with as close as you are to Chicago. Vince builds a mean tranny!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
It's hit or miss on stock trannies as to whether they hold up after H/C swaps or not. I've seen many do just fine, and I've seen many crap out immediately. I unfortunately fell into the latter category. My tranny refused to shift from 2-3 at anything past 5800 RPM's on my 1st drive after the cam swap. And I mean literally my first drive. It was a couple weeks later that it completely failed. The only positive to that ordeal was getting the FLT tranny. I still say go that route with as close as you are to Chicago. Vince builds a mean tranny!
I will be getting one soon, just have to wait a little longer. And I was still leaning towards FLT
Old 01-22-2008, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can still use a 15mm wrench on the torque converter bolt, I did on mine this last weekend. as for the dowl pins, I used a little hand held torch and heated the metal around the pins on the bell housing to get it to loosen up. You want to be very carefull when heating aluminium though. you dont want it to start glowing red!!