Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e rebuild - How much power is yours taking like its there job? What upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l80e rebuild - How much power is yours taking like its there job? What upgrades?

Guys who have rebuilt the 80 themselves what did you include to beef it up. Yes I read the sticky and did some researching which tells me that wil a basic overhaul/rebuild and upgrading the clutch packs along with a shift kit they can hold some serious power. Obviously the converter will matter as well. Probably get something like a 3000 or so from yank with their crossmember.

I got a 97 core, fully operational and will be putting it behind a forged 370 and front mount turbo, so ya it will make some power but will be a street car.

I was just planning of getting my mechanic to do a rebuild on it and save a **** load of money. How are your trannys holding up guys, I know that stock they hold some decent power and with a bit upgrades and a rebuild they'll obviously hold more.

Lets here some first hand experience guys, I know the sponsors will say to have it shipped into them for a rebuild whch will cost 2 g's more and I know its not necessary b/c I've talked to a couple respectable guys already. Jsut haven't got the info for the 'exact' parts needed in order for it to be virtually bullet proof. I know nothing is guarenteed in this game though, LOL
Old 01-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your 'repectable' guys don't know the answer I'd question their ability to build one properly. Thats the $2000 difference right there.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
If your 'repectable' guys don't know the answer I'd question their ability to build one properly. Thats the $2000 difference right there.
They do know the answer I am sure but I don't like to bother the **** out of them as they have there own builders that do the rebuilds. They have allot more power behind them as I would and also require better builds. I was told I could get away with less upgrades which makes more sense to me than spending the additional 2000 jsut b/c you can? These sponsors need to make some money too is why they need to charge more and probably do more as well. Same goes as an engine, how many people rebuild there own motors and throw as much power at it as a shop built motor. Its jsut that most people don't know transmissions as good as they do motors. I for one am one of those people and is why I am trying to get the info from those who know. I don't like pm'in the crap out of people that are busy enough, some people do like to take some time to help others and some don't. I do as much as I can but am more so in the researching and learning stage in comparison to the knowledgable ones on this site.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

BTW, thats basically the same setup i am running, and i can trap over 130 and daily drive it. Finally got a stall this year, so im looking to do really low 10s in street trim.
Gary
Old 01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, thats what I want to hear. I got more than enough answers via pm so if nobody wants to share their experiences thats fine with me. It seems that this section is dead anyways and would have better luck posting this in the FI section since thats what allot of the big boys run is the 4l80e.

Either that or a the th400 and g-force t-56's for the die hard M6 boys. I actually had a viper spec t-56 built b/c, it will mostly be a street car but decided to sell it as I didn't want to deal with clutch's(even though I bought a exoskel) the haudralics, etc.

The more I talk to people who have the 80 the more I want it. All they say is they should have done it right the first time instead of screwing around with the crappy 4l60e, even when built. 80 here we come
Old 01-26-2008, 10:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

A 4L80E with a good clutch set and a shift lit can handle conderable power. Now there are up grades the 39 element sprag. Billet output shafts and of course the considerable experementing (research to get it just right) But if your builder is decent and thourgh and uses like a transgo kit you should be good easily , Remember these things go in trucks that tow 10000 pounds, For the most part a car is like a vacation to them.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I like your comparison, never thought about it that way. I know these trans are stout from factory so like you said with basic upgrades it can go a long way. I will also make sure to get a nice, big trans-cooler and a gauge to monitor for extra security. Haven't really researched to see what they operate at in one of these cars in comparison to a 4l60e.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i have more faith in my 80 then about any other part of the car.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Websy21
Thanks, thats what I want to hear. I got more than enough answers via pm so if nobody wants to share their experiences thats fine with me.
Thats great, in respect to the cash paying sponsors of this section I didn't PM you, but you know what **** it no ones going to thank me for not doing that.
Go to bulkpart.com and order the parts seperate, not in a kit. Get clutches only and reuse your steels anything but allomatic.
Get a bushing kit, a bearing kit, a thrust washer kit, and a gasket/sealing ring kit, transgo high temp stator ring kit, transgo shift kit, filtrans filter. Should cost under $300.
See what a sponsor here can do for a $300 kit.
Build it yourself. You don't need special tools, maybe bushing drivers.
Wet air test the pump and every apply piston.
I've had these behind 600 hp n/a big blocks with no problems.
Backyard rebuild- sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks MM again for the help. These things must really be a HOSS like somone had already told me, lol - Your car is sick, one of my favorites on here! The quote in your sig from KP says it all!

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Thats great, in respect to the cash paying sponsors of this section I didn't PM you, but you know what **** it no ones going to thank me for not doing that.
Go to bulkpart.com and order the parts seperate, not in a kit. Get clutches only and reuse your steels anything but allomatic.
Get a bushing kit, a bearing kit, a thrust washer kit, and a gasket/sealing ring kit, transgo high temp stator ring kit, transgo shift kit, filtrans filter. Should cost under $300.
See what a sponsor here can do for a $300 kit.
Build it yourself. You don't need special tools, maybe bushing drivers.
Wet air test the pump and every apply piston.
I've had these behind 600 hp n/a big blocks with no problems.
Backyard rebuild- sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
Thanks allot bro, I appreciate it. This is what I like to see, I knew I could count on you guys!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

I'm in the process of rebuilding mine. It blew up under my motor, BUT I must say it was a builder issue, not a tranny issue.

I am going to rebuild it with a transgo full-manual valve body shift kit, tougher clutches, and I may browse some of the parts jxaxsxoxn mentioned.

I must say I love the transmission. With the way it is geared along with my factory 2.73 gears, I could hit 60mph in 1st gear in a tick over 3 seconds, spinning the whole way there. It really surprises the **** out of people when they pull up next to you on the highway going 50mph to try and get a race, you drop it to first and leave like a damn slingshot with them fading in your rearview mirror. It's the ****.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one on the way as well for my new shop car. It also gonna have the Stage 3 Transgo FMVB shift kit. I will more than liley tackle this one myself. For no more $$$ than I will have in it it will be a great learning experience. If it doesnt work then it will go to the tranny shop.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
I have one on the way as well for my new shop car. It also gonna have the Stage 3 Transgo FMVB shift kit. I will more than liley tackle this one myself. For no more $$$ than I will have in it it will be a great learning experience. If it doesnt work then it will go to the tranny shop.
Josh give me a call if you run into trouble with it.

g
Old 02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

Will do.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:55 AM
TECH Regular

just a fast question the only clutches that are used here are allomatics and from what I've seen here that they are not good...! what do you guys recommend?! I have a 4l60e though!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

I went the same route you are going, it all depends on the builder. The local guy I used built it twice, maybe 1000 miles total. I got sick of pulling it and sent it to FLT. World of difference.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Built mine 2 years ago with new clutches, updated roller sprag and transgo shift kit. No problems, shifts great and much more confident in it than I ever was in my 700r4.
Big thing is the converter and the computer to control it. I think stock these trannys will hold up to most anything we can throw at them. I figure mine is so happy not to be abused in a truck it will last forever.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

holly crap i just read my question and it made no sense so im going to repeat it here in a proper way lol...

In saudi arabia, they only use Allomatic clutches the blue high performance ones... but from what I've heard from this site, that they are not good... any input on that?!

I have a 4L60E

Thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

As far as I knew, the "Blue Plate Specials" are from Raybestos. They can get whatever they want over there.
There are builders and HP builders. It depends what a person wants to pursue in their career. Knowlege is power. If you get someone who "thinks" they can do it, pass. If you have someone who "advertises and has a reputation" for HP transmission work, that is your person. There are builders who can build stock well and read instructions to apply the HP work that you desire, even tho it isn't their forte'. The point is, do your homework before you spend. The reason these vendors invest and advertise for your services here is to take the hard part of searching for "The Guy".

Quick Reply: 4l80e rebuild - How much power is yours taking like its there job? What upgrades?