Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a4 not going into o/d

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 not going into o/d

this started a few days ago. I left from work and my car would not change into o/d. If I pulled it down into 1 or 2 it wouldnt go there either. Got it home ckecked the fluid and it showed low so I put some in and it started working normal for a day. Then it started it again. So I thought well it must have been really low (no leaks that I can see) so I put some more fluid in and it started working fine. That lasted a day and its doing it again. I checked the fluid level and it shows full. Any ideas what could be wrong ? Also its sluggish on take off.

My car is a 2001 SS Camaro with a stock a4 tranny
Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you are setting limp mode, Possibly some electrical issue , You need to have the car scanned and avoid driving it till you do as much as possible, Driving around in limp mode (allways iN 3RD gear) is rough on the 3-4 clutches around town and the issue you have could become a big one when likley right now its a simple fix

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-30-2008, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

or it could be the 4th gear apply servo. I had one go out on my trans. no visible problems with the seal, just stopped working. this was a sonnax billet servo also
Old 01-30-2008, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its possible but the part about the sluggish take off IMO sounds more like limp mode to me, I would again get it scanned asap and get us the numbers that come up ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

heed his advice
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 AM
FormerVendor

Get the car scanned. Is the service engine soon on?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xtremetrans
Get the car scanned. Is the service engine soon on?

no it has not come on
Old 02-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Sounds like you are setting limp mode, Possibly some electrical issue , You need to have the car scanned and avoid driving it till you do as much as possible, Driving around in limp mode (allways iN 3RD gear) is rough on the 3-4 clutches around town and the issue you have could become a big one when likley right now its a simple fix
I had the car scanned and this is the code it brought up:

P0740
Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Launching!

I got the car back today. $342 labor/parts............their explanation: Internal 3-2 solenoid damaged due to ignition switch voltage, replaced 3-2 solenoid and ignition switch
Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by rrgray8
thanks for the help !!!!!!!!!!
Your welcome thats what I am here for

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Your welcome thats what I am here for
BAD NEWS.................headed to work this morning and car started doing the same thing. took it back to the chevy place. they said they would check it out and see whats going on. next thing I know the service manager comes out thinks he is going to bully me around and push me out the door. Long story short after going round and round with him and talking with the main manager they put my old parts back in and gave me my money back. The service manager and I did take it for a ride but of course it didnt act up while he drove it. Took it to another place but its Monday before they can look at it.

Question: They said they replaced solenoid 3:2. Is that the right one to replace if its limp mode and stuck in 3rd ??????

Also I saw the pan and it did have some metal shavings in the bottom of the it. What does that indicate ?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rrgray8
BAD NEWS.................headed to work this morning and car started doing the same thing. took it back to the chevy place. they said they would check it out and see whats going on. next thing I know the service manager comes out thinks he is going to bully me around and push me out the door. Long story short after going round and round with him and talking with the main manager they put my old parts back in and gave me my money back. The service manager and I did take it for a ride but of course it didnt act up while he drove it. Took it to another place but its Monday before they can look at it.

Question: They said they replaced solenoid 3:2. Is that the right one to replace if its limp mode and stuck in 3rd ??????

Also I saw the pan and it did have some metal shavings in the bottom of the it. What does that indicate ?
You should have some shavings stuck to your magnet, but not in the pan in the fluid...
Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Launching!

ok the place my car is at now scanned it and said this code came up:

P0785..............They are suppose to drop the pan tomorrow morning and test a few things
Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Once again thats a 3-2 solenoid electrical code , If they have allready changed the solenoid I would look at the wiring harness plug to the solenoid or suspect the round case connector

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Once again thats a 3-2 solenoid electrical code , If they have allready changed the solenoid I would look at the wiring harness plug to the solenoid or suspect the round case connector
I asked them what solenoid that code was and they said 2-3. So I asked him is that the same as the 3-2 solenoid the dealership replaced and he said no that they are different. I dont understand how at one place P0740 Code comes up and at this place it gives P0785 AND P0740 was not in the history. I am just about to give up finding a place who will be honest.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Circuit Description with 4L60-E / 4L65-E Automatic Transmission
The 3-2 Shift Solenoid (SS) valve assembly is a normally-closed, 3-port, on/off device that controls the 3-2 downshift. The solenoid attaches to the control valve body within the transmission. The solenoid receives ignition voltage through circuit 239. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controls the solenoid by providing a ground path on circuit 687. During a 3-2 downshift, the 2-4 band applies as the 3-4 clutch releases. The PCM varies the timing between the 3-4 clutch release and the 2-4 band apply depending on the vehicle speed and the throttle position.

When the PCM detects a continuous open, short to ground or short to power in the 3-2 SS valve assembly circuit, then DTC P0785 sets. DTC P0785 is a type B DTC.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
  • The system voltage is 8-18 volts.
  • The engine speed is greater than 450 RPM for 5 seconds.
  • The engine is not in fuel cutoff.
CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
DTC P0785 sets if one of the following conditions occurs for 5 seconds:

Condition 1
The PCM commands the solenoid ON and the voltage feedback remains high (B+).

Condition 2
The PCM commands the solenoid OFF and the voltage feedback remains low (0 volts).

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
  • The PCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.
  • The PCM commands a soft landing to third gear.
  • The PCM commands maximum line pressure.
  • The PCM inhibits TCC engagement.
  • The PCM inhibits fourth gear if the transmission is in hot mode.
  • The PCM freezes shift adapts from being updated.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The PCM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
  • The PCM stores DTC P0785 in the PCM history during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met
As you can see PO785 happens when the 3-2 solenoid circuit is open or shorted. Its and elctrical code. But with the other codes too I really would check the electrical conections

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Launching!

the second place I took my car to tried to rip me off also. He wanted to charge me $400 and said all the solenoids needed replaced and the wire harness. I told him I would just pick my car up not to do anything else. When I asked him how the filter and bottom of the pan looked he said they didnt drop the pan only did pressure test on the solenoids. I paid him $55 to find out the problem but all he really did was scan for a code. Thats ok he didnt get anymore $$$ from me. On the way home since the service engine soon light was on I stopped by Auto Zone and had them scan it. I wanted to see if he was tellling the truth about what code came up. They scanned it and P0785 came up. The same one he said came up. I asked him if a bad wire harness could make codes go off for different solenoids and he said yes. Then he went on to say that I didnt need to just replace 1 solenoid that I needed to replace all of them, that it wasnt good to just do one. I think he was just wanting more money, wanting to put parts on I didnt need.

I went by a Chevy dealer and bought the TCC Solenoid w/ the wire harness. I am going to try that and see if it takes care of the problem. Performabuilt could you tell me again the steps to do in replacing the TCC and wire harness ? Any pics/diagrams would be very helpful. I have been searching online for write-ups on this subject but have had no luck.

would I be better off while I have it apart to just replace all the solenoids ? are their 4 ?

Last edited by rrgray8; 02-13-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Launching!

the harness for 3-2 ? whats the round case connector ? any pics ?