Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 05:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Step by Step How to remove 4l60e transmission!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll answer my own question for others. For the E clips on the cooler lines a 90* or twisted pick and pry on the bottom or top of the E on the end of the wire.
Don't forget you have to pull the plastic cover off to see or get to the clips.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kiztope
To fill anyone in... I had to remove the exhaust Y pipe (snapped a manifold bolt in the process), but after this was removed, the engine dropped low enough to get to the 19mm fittings. I couldn't get the clips off, but was able to reach them with a 19mm wrench.

Next trick - Figuring out how to get the torque converter off... I popped the little cap off of the bottom of the bellhousing, which allows a very limited viewing and I've used the screwdriver method to rotate the flywheel, as described above, but can't seem to find the bolts... maybe I'm missing something obvious here.... I'm back under the car tonight!
Anyone got pics or suggestions on this?
You have to go in where you remove the starter. There isa plastic shield with a 10mm bolt behind the starter once you remove it. Then you will see the bolts.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

And you will need some "help" to get the tight converter bolts off. One of:
* A helper with a breaker bar on the front crankshaft bolt to keep the engine from tuning. IIRC that is a 24mm socket.
* A special tool that locks the flexplate; the tools bolts into the starter motor holes.
* An impact wrench that fits. I use a 17mm U-joint socket so that the wrench can be angled a bit away from the engine block.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by NTrafficCC
Can you install a 4l60e from a 2000 Tahoe in a 1997 suburban?
I have a 97 one piece housing in my 2000 z71 tahoe (88-98 bodystyle) not sure if that tahoe is a z71 or not. If it’s a newer bodystyle with the 5.3 it will not work. If it’s a z71 and 5.7 it will, you will need converter and adapter for the 2000 trans though

Quick Reply: Step by Step How to remove 4l60e transmission!!