Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another leaking 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another leaking 4L60E

I've been all over the site looking for answers and i cant find anthing thats really helping me. I'm leaking from the bell housing and I popped the inspection cover the converter is dry as well as the block but the front pump is leaking somewhere. The front seal and retainer are both still in place and I just rebuilt the trans 20k-25k ago. All new bushing seal etc. No leak until tonight. I set both my end plays correctly as well. My question is would too high of pressure cause the front seal to leak uder load when I'm stalling the 2 step to 3300rpm? Just noticed the leak tonight after making some passes at a local meet. Nothing crazy but its leaving a baseball sized puddle when I launch. I'm currently waiting for a pressure guage to come in so I can see what the pressures are at I used all sonnax parts on the build and the .490 ratio boot valve. I'm tuning the car myself with hp tuners. If the pressure being too high could cause the front seal to leak but not push out then I was wondering how I would reset the epc pressure table. I'm new to the tuning scene. Any input is greatly appreciated 🙏
Old 02-19-2022, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The awnser is in the question. You stated that you didn not leak for 25k miles after rebuild, and then you HPtuned the tranny...

How much pressure you added? 2-3% or a 1000 gigawatts to the EPC?

Btw, how did you bolt the torque converter? You started from the first bolt that centers it to the flexplate, right?
Old 02-19-2022, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

When I had my 4L60E rebuilt, it soon suffered a leak at the "neck" of the converter. They cracked open the converter, replaced the neck and covered the cost under warranty.

Rick
Old 02-19-2022, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

If the pump bushing and seal are in proper working order the seal should not leak even with higher than stock line pressure. You didn't tell us anything about your set up. Assuming the converter hub is seated into the end of the crankshaft, the most likely cause of your leak would be a worn pump bushing and seal or converter hub.

I would pull the trans and inspect the pump bushing and converter hub.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Well I jacked the car up and started it and no leak now. Yet the undercarriage is covered in trans fluid. I'm suspecting it mightve came out the case vent tube. I had no hose on it. I go the breather hose back on. It started leaking lastnight after a few hits at a local car meet. But only when I stalled up the converter on the 2 stap to 3300 rpm and it drips for the first 2 feet then goes away. I'm going to cleane it up today and stall it up while someone looks under that car. Open to any other ideas
Old 02-19-2022, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

This is all the parts I put into my build so far. Again end plays were both set correctly. I looked around in the bell housing with my bore scope and the converter is dry and clean. The front pump is soaked and the bottom of the trans. Passenger side looks worse then drivers side

Last edited by blackbird9; 02-19-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

It could be getting hot and blowing out of the vent. Is the trans wet around the vent tube?
Old 02-19-2022, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Today I cleaned up the mess and had my buddy stall the car up under load with the 2 step. No leak. I have the vent tube back on and way to the back so I'll update if anything leaks again
The following users liked this post:
bbond105 (02-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Another leaking 4L60E