Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I change the filter on my 4l60e tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I change the filter on my 4l60e tranny?

also how much fluid do it hold ? Is it 5 ?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Launching!

I found this write-up:

transmission filter is inside the transmission. you have to remove the pan to get it. there's no drain plug to drain the fluid. you'll need a very large catch pan to minimize the mess. you'll need a 13mm socket and ratchet to do this. and yes, this is messy.

lift the car up and support it safely. once done, then start removing the 13mm bolts around the pan one at a time. work towards the right rear corner from both directions. start at the left front corner. have your drain pan ready. as you remove the bolts, some fluid will start coming out. finally, you'll have one bolt left in the right rear corner. the pan will have some down some by now and fluid coming out. start removing the last bolt slowly. as you do this, the pan will start lowering from the left front corner. this helps minimize the mess. fluid will start pouring out. finally, you'll end up just about completely removing the bolt. at this point, most of the fluid will be out of the pan. now, support the pan with one hand. remove the last bolt and pull the pan down. you'll see the filter. just wiggle it out. more fluid will come out.

install new filter with a little trans fluid on the shaft. this will help push it back in place. clean the pan. you'll notice a square object stuck on the pan. it's a magnet. install new pan gasket. reinstall pan. don't super tighten the bolts. also, you'll notice two bolts are longer than the rest. those go back where the shifter cable bracket bolts to the pan. once done, add 5 quarts of your favorite fluid. start car. with foot on brakes, go thorugh each gear selection one at a time. all the down, then back up. recheck fluid. 5 quarts is all it takes, but recheck anyway. while its still running, look under the car for leaks. if all's well, then shut car off and remove from supports.

last. clean up and find a place to dispose of fluid.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

I am no pro but I leave 2bolts at the rear and 1 at the front of the pan untouched until all the other bolts are out. This way no tranny fluid comes out until the last possible moment.

Then crack the 3 last bolts abit and remove the front one holding the pan up with your hand or a jack so it doesn't start spewing fluid out on you.

There will be 2 bolts holding it at the rear now so just undo them more and let most of the fluid drain out the front of the pan.

It should be pretty light now so hold the pan up agaunst the case and take out the 2 last bolts, then drop the pan and tip the remaining fluid into your catchment container but usually it is a good idea to catch a look at the last bit of fluid in the pan b4 you discard it. Look for excessive particles that indicate damage or out of the normal wear.

The filter is a case of wiggling it with a little bit of twisting to get it out. Alot of people just leave the seal in the case and refit a new filter into the old seal. It can be tricky to get out. Be careful not to scratch the housing if you take it out.

Clean everything up making sure there is no old gasket anywhere and spray the gasket surfaces with some solvent to get rid of any contaminants. Lay the gasket on the pan, it only goes one way so join the dots. It is a good idea to get the gasket flat b4 you fit it. I just leave it under a phone book for a couple of days prior.

Don't do the bolts too tight, just like initial tension and half a turn. Fill the fluid through the dipstick tube to a satisfactory level and run it through the gears while stationary a few times with your foot on the brake. Check the fluid agin and top up accordingly. Might take more than one time. Check it again after a drive.

Quick Reply: How do I change the filter on my 4l60e tranny?