Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Transmission Problem

Old 02-05-2008, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Transmission Problem

This is very strange. Me and a friend of mine were driving the car and we parked it in my garage, then we went to home depot and got food. Then we came back and put some new clamps on the boost tube, making sure not to hit or damage any wires or anything.

Then we started the car to test the pipes, car had weird idle. When you give it gas the RPMs drop really fast to normal idle. In park car tries to move forward but gets stopped by it being in park, then when put in R the car doesn't move, then when put in N car moves forward, D,1,2,3 act correctly.

Now when I checked the lines to make sure the pump was working, i found out that nothing was coming back out of the radiator, so i bypassed radiator trotally and i ran the trans lines directly into my trans cooler, bypassing radiator totally, and fluid moves correctly. Now,when I stuck the one end into a bottle to make sure pump works. I ran air into the radiator and chunks came out, seems like pieces from the old trans were in there. I need a new radiator anyway, so i'm not worried about that.

My question is: do you think some old trans pieces got into it and jammed a valve or something? I'm about to flush the whole system and just clean it all out and replace the trans filter. We didin't mess with tuning or anything, this just happened when we came back from about an hour.

When this happened there wasn't any strange smells, sounds or anything just didin't work. Trans temp wasn't overheated or anything either. This is a Stage 4 FLP transmission with 3200 stall. Now only thing original from other trans was the stall, maybe the stall went bad? I have to drop the transmission anyway due to i think my rear main seal is leaking badly, so either way trans comes down. I'm just hoping it's not something huge.

A local trans shop installed the trans,so i assumed they knew what they were doing as it's worked for a month already no problems, now i'm suddenly finding that my radiator wasn't flushed from previous trans.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you saying you put a converter off a bad trans into a new trans without having it CUT OPEN?
AND never flushed the cooler?
It's not sounding so good.

Originally Posted by GrandmasterCow
This is very strange. Me and a friend of mine were driving the car and we parked it in my garage, then we went to home depot and got food. Then we came back and put some new clamps on the boost tube, making sure not to hit or damage any wires or anything.

Then we started the car to test the pipes, car had weird idle. When you give it gas the RPMs drop really fast to normal idle. In park car tries to move forward but gets stopped by it being in park, then when put in R the car doesn't move, then when put in N car moves forward, D,1,2,3 act correctly.

Now when I checked the lines to make sure the pump was working, i found out that nothing was coming back out of the radiator, so i bypassed radiator trotally and i ran the trans lines directly into my trans cooler, bypassing radiator totally, and fluid moves correctly. Now,when I stuck the one end into a bottle to make sure pump works. I ran air into the radiator and chunks came out, seems like pieces from the old trans were in there. I need a new radiator anyway, so i'm not worried about that.

My question is: do you think some old trans pieces got into it and jammed a valve or something? I'm about to flush the whole system and just clean it all out and replace the trans filter. We didin't mess with tuning or anything, this just happened when we came back from about an hour.

When this happened there wasn't any strange smells, sounds or anything just didin't work. Trans temp wasn't overheated or anything either. This is a Stage 4 FLP transmission with 3200 stall. Now only thing original from other trans was the stall, maybe the stall went bad? I have to drop the transmission anyway due to i think my rear main seal is leaking badly, so either way trans comes down. I'm just hoping it's not something huge.

A local trans shop installed the trans,so i assumed they knew what they were doing as it's worked for a month already no problems, now i'm suddenly finding that my radiator wasn't flushed from previous trans.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Unfortunatley the only way material can get into the cooler is from the converter, I would guess that the converter clutch has failed, The fact that no fluid was coming through the cooler and the fact the car dosent move in reverse and tries to move in neutral and park tell me the a planet is likley locked they can literally melt witout lube. Fluild coming from the cooler is what lubes the planets, Without lube they will fail in just a few miles . When you pull the trans to fix the rear seal leak I would plan on going through the trans amd unfortunatly I see you have 3000 miles but its very unlikley it would be covered by any warranty

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-06-2008, 05:04 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being that this unit was built by Chuck when he was at FLP I'm sure it is out of warranty. We do offer a freshen up special that is $250 labor plus parts on any unit that we have ever built. It does sound that you have internal failure do to the cooler problem. Gives us a call when you have a chance to discuss your situation. Vince
Old 02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trans was taken care of, thanks for the advice. Trans was having some internal issues, local performance shop took a look and repaired it for me. Yeah due to the miliage I had no warrenty, so i had to rely on another shop.

Search this Thread