Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spraying nitrous through shifts on stock 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default spraying nitrous through shifts on stock 4L60E?

I have heard it is not good to spray nitrous through the shifts on a stock 4L60E so if this is the case what is the best/easiest way to control the spray so that its not spraying through the shift?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any HP adder is not good for the transmition. You can have it tunned to were it pulls even more timming (more then the factory tune does) during the shift. That way you just let it spray, and the PCM will cut timing out during the shift, which should soften the blow to the trans. Personaly, I just sprayed mine until I popped the trans, then had it built for it. It took me a little over a year to pop it, and it was petty exciting when it did pop!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
Any HP adder is not good for the transmition. You can have it tunned to were it pulls even more timming (more then the factory tune does) during the shift. That way you just let it spray, and the PCM will cut timing out during the shift, which should soften the blow to the trans. Personaly, I just sprayed mine until I popped the trans, then had it built for it. It took me a little over a year to pop it, and it was petty exciting when it did pop!
How much did you have in the build?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spent an easy $3000 in parts for it. I wish I would have known about the 4L80E option at that time. If it goes again (well when it goes again), I will replace the 4L60E with a built 4L80E. For what I spent on the trans I could have done the swap to a 4L80E I think. But I can not complain. I have had no troubles out of it since. I have no idea how many juiced passes I have put on it. I can tell you I popped it back in Feb of 05, had it fixed and on the road again by March of 05, and have put countless passes on it, and it has held up fine. Now that I am going to a turbocharged 408, I do not think it will stand a chance to last. Also, I tuned my PCM not to drop timing when it shifts. I did that way before I popped it, and it only popped after (the very next track day) I went from the stock torque to the 3800 torque converter. I am positive the converter was the final straw for the trans. I still run that converter.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spent an easy $3000 in parts for it. I wish I would have known about the 4L80E option at that time. If it goes again (well when it goes again), I will replace the 4L60E with a built 4L80E. For what I spent on the trans I could have done the swap to a 4L80E I think. But I can not complain. I have had no troubles out of it since. I have no idea how many juiced passes I have put on it. I can tell you I popped it back in Feb of 05, had it fixed and on the road again by March of 05, and have put countless passes on it, and it has held up fine. Now that I am going to a turbocharged 408, I do not think it will stand a chance to last. Also, I tuned my PCM not to drop timing when it shifts. I did that way before I popped it, and it only popped after (the very next track day) I went from the stock torque to the 3800 torque converter. I am positive the converter was the final straw for the trans. I still run that converter.
Sorry for the

Sounds good.. Thanks... They guy who did my engine swap and dyno tune (one hell of a guy), has also done some 4L80E swaps... He said for some reason it depends on each car and if the install goes smooth... One he said went right in and didn't have much trouble while another he had to hack and tackle a whole slew of problems... I'm sure you'll get it done when the time comes though.

How many stages and what size shot are you running? Are you going to spray with the 408 also?

I've been dying to build mine to a 408 or just get a nice set of heads/cam, but funds haven't allowed me to do that... I could go out in the backyard and dig up about 3k from an old coffee can but that isn't enough to get me anywhere.. Kind of saving it on a rear end too
Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spray 150 wet shot from launch, all the way down the track. The converter will flash to about 4500 when leaving on the shot. Then again, not realy sure about that, it leaves very freaking hard, and I realy just catch a glimps of the tach at that point.

I will be spraying the 408 in the beginning. Probly at least 200 wet shot. I will have the 408 in before summer. Once I finish gathering up all the stuff for the turbo, and it is installed (most likely not until next winter), I will remove the nitrous from the car and replace it with the methonal kit.

Keep at it and you will get the 408 built. I bought my crank and block back in late 03 I think. I did not do anything with it until last month. Got the bug again I guess. Point is, you will get there in time.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spray 150 wet shot from launch, all the way down the track. The converter will flash to about 4500 when leaving on the shot. Then again, not realy sure about that, it leaves very freaking hard, and I realy just catch a glimps of the tach at that point.

I will be spraying the 408 in the beginning. Probly at least 200 wet shot. I will have the 408 in before summer. Once I finish gathering up all the stuff for the turbo, and it is installed (most likely not until next winter), I will remove the nitrous from the car and replace it with the methonal kit.

Keep at it and you will get the 408 built. I bought my crank and block back in late 03 I think. I did not do anything with it until last month. Got the bug again I guess. Point is, you will get there in time.
Thanks buddy.. I'll stick with it for sure, but with school and professional school, it'll be a looong time..

Good luck and thanks for the info
Old 02-09-2008, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
I have heard it is not good to spray nitrous through the shifts on a stock 4L60E so if this is the case what is the best/easiest way to control the spray so that its not spraying through the shift?
Window switch, ours is cut off right before the re-programmed shift points.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Azrael
This is also a good option. It would seem to maybe be a better option becuase it will completly shut the power adder down during the shift, were tunning it to reduce more timing during the shift might not pull as much load off the trans during shifting. Long sentence, not sure if it makes sence,,,,
Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Azrael
Ditto

I think this is absolutely the best way to do it with a stock 4L60E
Old 02-12-2008, 04:38 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree with Azrael.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:11 AM
10 Second Club

Awesome, I thought maybe that was going to be the answer, I will probably go that route. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: spraying nitrous through shifts on stock 4L60E?