Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The question is......Can you?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The question is......Can you?

Can any of you tranny gurus (no I don't mean transvestite) tell me what in the world is going on with my 99 TA?

Ok, now on to the point. I have a 99ta w/ a decently built 4l60e. The transmission was built about 1.5 years ago. For some reason if I accelerate out in drive the transmission will pop out of gear between the 1st to 2nd shift; however, if I manually shift the car out or just leave the shifter in the
2nd gear position the car will shift out just fine.

Could it just be a simple problem with the shift linkage? If so, what can I do to fix this annoying problem.

Thanks,
Morgan
Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

oh btw. when it is left in drive the transmission will shift out just fine and the tq converter will lockup. ONLY under hard acceleration while in drive will it act like it is jumping into neutral.

If I give it wot @ 20mph while the shifter is in 2nd gear the car will drop down to 1st, spin the tires off of course, and switch into 2nd just fine. Once in 2nd I can go ahead and shift to 3rd and finish out the quarter with no other problems.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take a good long look at the motor mounts and tranny mount.

It's not likely that it is being caused by an internal condition. But, stranger things have happened. Has the car had any work done to it recently?

g
Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
I would take a good long look at the motor mounts and tranny mount.

It's not likely that it is being caused by an internal condition. But, stranger things have happened. Has the car had any work done to it recently?

g

None what so ever. Think maybe the mount is broken causing the transmission to rotate to the extent of knocking the car out of gear during the hard 1st to 2nd shift?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A broken tranny mount might not be enough to do it. Take a long look at the Motor mounts.

I have found over the years that a good long visual inspection can be invaluable when dealing with odd issues. Be sure to look at the cable as well, the cable end where it attaches to the tranny and so on.

g
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

will do. thanks for the input.
I'll keep you posted if I find something out.

Search this Thread