Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Solenoid B stuck ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Solenoid B stuck ??'s

Ok, so my 4L60E is acting up and not regularly, but frequently throwing a code saying the shift solenoid b is stuck on. I have a Stage II trans, a B&M tranny cooler, a fuddle 3400 stall and every once in a while get the code, sometimes it will be on for a couple of hours or couple of days then seems to go away. My trans cooler does have a leak and needs to be replaced, I know and have one on hand just haven't had the time to install.

So my ??'s are what causes the shift solenoid to get stuck, what happens when it gets stuck open or closed, how do I replace it if needed, will the trans cooler or a tranny leak cause it and how else can I fix it?

Thanks for all of the help,

Mark
Old 02-15-2008, 04:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try this: Put it in overdrive and drive around. In OD the shift solenoids "A" and "B" or 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift determine what gear the transmission is in. In 1,2, or Drive the manual valve overrides the solenoids (basically). If "B" were stuck on then (Please correct me if I'm wrong sponsors) the you wouldn't have 3rd and 4th gear. I hope thats right but in any case its very easy to change.

Drop the pan and you will see on the aft most part of the valve body 2 identical solenoids. I think solenoid B is the one closer to the middle. Simply take the electrical connector off, pull out the little metal clip that holds the solenoid in there (works similar to the clip/fittings for the trans fluid lines) and do the reverse with the new one. Should take 10 minutes and its the perfect opportunity to throw a new $8 filter in there with some new fluid.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If this is and intermitant problem and clears up after turning the car off and the car begins starting in 1st again it maybe what some call a stall code, Basically the PCM i confused by the stall converter,And will set that code even though theres nothig wrong , You can replace the solenoid first however if it continues to happen you may need to have the test for that code removed from the PCM

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the quick replies. It does sometimes clear on its own after turning the car off, and sometimes it hangs around for a couple of days. Either case it's usually that only code that comes up and is infrequent and I dont' usually notice any shifting differences, though once or twice it has prevented it from going in to OD.

Quick Reply: Shift Solenoid B stuck ??'s