Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on a ford e40d

Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on a ford e40d

well I have jump in on my first ford tranny and have found that the atsg manuals on the ford trannies are not as thurough as the atsg manuals on gm trannies the problem i have run into is on the back of the intermediate brake drum there is a oneway roller clutch the book says to install it to rotate counter clockwise but the thing that is troubleing me is the race that turns on the roller clutch (it drives intermediate clutch pac) it is dished on one side and flat on the other .... is there anybody out there that can tell me which direction this buger goes ??? dish side up or dish down ??? atsg and alldata tell me nothing... 95 f150 4x4
Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Restricted User

Default With the intermediate sprag looking at you

{pointing up} you sould see the dish side . The flat side goes down against the thrust washer. When it is assembled, the intermediate sprag race should turn counterclockwise and lock clockwise while your holding the drum still.

Mike.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I am pretty sure if memory serves me correctly the flat side goes down. Been a few years since I built one of those. Also be sure to use a torque wrench on the case to support bolts I can tell you when they are not properly torqued all sorts of issues come up.
Another tip match the plate to the charts in the book to determine year and check ball locations dont assume that the model year for the truck is correct, Last dont forget the one metal check ball that has a spring under it that goes between case and valve body plate will again cause all sorts of issues.
Place the valve body gaskets on the plate also and make sure no holes are blocked,

This are a few tips I do remember about those big *** things.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-16-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Default thanks

that is how I left it but I wanted to find out for sure before i buttoned it up do you know where I can get better tech info than the atsg manuals I really have not had any problem with them on gm tannies but this ford manual seems to be a little sparce on tech data imo...
Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember correctly the flat side goes towards the direct drum against the plastic or brass large 3 tang thrust washer. I have a few sitting on the shelf at the shop. Give me a call on Monday and I will take a look for you if you do not get the answer before hand. Another way to figure it out is look for the wear marks on the sprag race to see where the washers have been riding. Also look where the sprag has been riding. This usually helps. Vince
Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by ls67
that is how I left it but I wanted to find out for sure before i buttoned it up do you know where I can get better tech info than the atsg manuals I really have not had any problem with them on gm tannies but this ford manual seems to be a little sparce on tech data imo...
Not really even alldata is iffy on those I was just looking at what was there and its not much really they dont even show assembling the intermediate sprag, They only show it allready on the drum and say little about it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-16-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Default thanks again

wow I thought I would be the only person setting at home on a saturday night thinking about transmission repair boy was I wrong several replies in only a few minutes. You guys are great though. I need to remember that yall are here cause I have had to learn transmission repair on my own and there have been times I could use the help..
Old 02-16-2008, 08:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by ls67
wow I thought I would be the only person setting at home on a saturday night thinking about transmission repair boy was I wrong several replies in only a few minutes. You guys are great though. I need to remember that yall are here cause I have had to learn transmission repair on my own and there have been times I could use the help..
Well I cant speak for anyone else but as for me well its all I think about all the time Not sure if thats a good thing or not lol

Call 888-744-6542

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help on a ford e40d