Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4WD question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4WD question

Sorry guys but not sure where else to ask. I decided to throw my truck into 4lo to get up my driveway and it decided not to go back into 2hi or 4hi. My friend who is a GM mechanic stopped by to check it out and thinks the encoder motor on the transfer case is bad. Anybody else have this issue, or know how much this part runs? Its for a 2000 GMC Jimmy/Envoy 4.3 A4 (obviously)

Thank You!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Have your GM buddy put your truck on a scanner and pull the t-case codes. They go bad here in northern Michigan all the time. There is a procedure to make sure. Did he also tell you they are VERY exspensive from the dealer? Diagnos it properly. Doorman has an inexspensive one at any Carquest for half the price with a limited lifetime warranty. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did some research and found that this is a fairly common problem. From what I have read the part runs around $440 and its about an hour install. Now another question I have is that I noticed when I hit the button for 4hi or 2hi and you can hear the t-case trying to disengage 4lo, and while its cycling the lights flicker. I know for a fact that the battery needs to be replaced. Could it possibly be that there is not enough juice to disengage the t-case?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you can hear the motor trying to work it may just be stuck? If you need a new battery just replace it. No point in getting stranded or causing you alternator to go bad (bad batteries causes most alt failures). Get moving 2-3 mph put it in neutral and then try to put it in 4hi... i believe the owners manual actually recommends moving SLOWLY 1-2 mph while switching between 4 hi and 4 low. It helps the gears sync a little better.

Anyway give that a try and change your battery. Your gonna need to sooner or later so just save some aggravation now lol
Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

It has to be in neutral to shift from low to high range. If it's trying to shift try and jack the front end up as if it's binding at all it can be diffucult to shift.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

If you hear the t-case trying to shift back and the truck is not level, it won't shift back . If you can, have a buddy GENTLY rock the vehicle back and forth to release low with the trans in "nuetral". It is also possible if you haven't used 4WD in a while the cross shaft going into the case is siezing or siezed. We see alot of that in northern Michigan. Your gears inside the motor could be stripped also. If your vehicle is running, you should have 13.9-14.1 volts through the alternator so you should have enough voltage.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys! The encoder motor is bad. My buddy came over and pulled it out and I will have a new one in the morning. I lucked out too, the dealership wanted $445 for an OEM piece but I got a brand new aftermarket one through my local parts store for $199!