Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge Vibration Issue

Old 03-07-2008, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Vibration Issue

Well i just put in my yank ss4000, everything went great with the install..gotta deeper pan and a yank crossmember as well. filled it, ran it, fluid level is perfect..Started the drive and man huge vibrations.especially after 2000 rpm..under light load it vibrates crazy almost teeth chattering..obviously double checked everything. and everything looks perfect and tight...i heard sometimes you just have to loosen the verter bolts and spin the verter 90 degrees and sometimes it clears the vibration...but i know these converters from yank are zero balance..is there a special bolt pattern or something im missing, it is a used converter from a friend but i know it was smooth and fine in his car..ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try rotating the converter to see if it made any difference. It should not. Don't expect a change, but try that 1st in order to rule out the converter.

What tranny mount did you install?

g
Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

stock rubber...it idles great minus the surging once in a while...i will try the converter rotate tom. does how far it comes out of the trans make a difference for vibration because it seemed like it pulled out a good 3/8 of an inch if thats normal
Old 03-07-2008, 11:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Unbolt the converter push away from the flex plate then pull back with a couple screwdrivers till its flush with flex plate then reinstall bolts and tighten , A comon issue is that people will use the converter bolt to pull the converter to the flex plate causing bindup condition. Most likley this will fix it . If it dosent remove inspection cover and start car and watch that flex plate is not bent If this has happened the vibration will not go away.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 03-08-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Will do! after work ill get her on the rack and try to work some magic...Thanks for the help guys ill keep ya posted on what happens
Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the crossmember as the mount can rub or be in a bind, also check your exhaust system and pinion angle.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

Hey let me know what you find out....thanks
Old 03-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

just did converter install on my trans am today and i have the exact same problem............badd vibration, i thought it was the tourque arm so i checked everything and all was tight. Let me know what happens when u unbolt the converter and rebolt it!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Verdicts In!
Ok here it goes put my car back up on the rack while running. i took off the big access hole cover on the bell housing and man oh man.. there was some wobbling going on. i watched the converter at its very edge/ corner it was spinning very true and straight. but the flex plate was doing a lil dance back and forth about 1/8 inch. this movement just appeared to be at the ring gear/starter gear. a little farther in where the verter bolts up didn't look to bad at all...So i shut her down loosened the converter bolts and it slid back into the trans nice and smooth and right at about 1/4 inch. turned it 120 degrees and slid the verter back into place. mind you it is sliding in and out very freely and smoothly. and when i actually pull it al the way in all 3 pads on the converter touch the flex plate. bolted it down started it up and revved a little. still vibrating. not as bad though believe it or not.. looked at the flex plate again still 1/8 movement. Drove it around but the part throttle vibs were def. still there(not exhaust related).. so i said to heck with it took it all apart and for the **** of it added 1 washer to each pad about 1/16 thick..redid everything and took it for a spin. now it was even better but still not smooth..i actually dont know what to do anymore then this..but imma buy a sfi approved flexplate and possibly bring my yank converter to midwest converters its in rockford about a hour away from me and they refresh the verter while u wait. So what do u guys think is it maybe just the flex plate.. i mean i know they are called "flexplates" for a reason but this 1/8 movement is bad...
Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When you had the converter bolts off,was the flexplate loose to the crank.My sons tci flexplate came loose once,had to grind down all the powder coating and reinstall it.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

When i backed off the converter i did try to wiggle the hell out of the flexplate and got nothing seemed as tight as can be...Literally the car drove fine thursday no vibrations nothing..thursday nite put in the converter and then the vibs started to happen..i know the stock flex plate is weak but my engine still pretty close to stock..i cant see or think of anyway i could have damaged it unless i hit it with the trans bell housing but that really shouldnt throw it off that much i wouldnt think
Old 03-08-2008, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

i think i will put in the stock converter on monday just to eliminate one thing at a time..This kinda puts a damper on my mood.. i really wanted to drive it its been 4 months of storage and i just pulled it out this thursday
Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you disassemble it completely remove the converter to flexplate bolts and then push the converter into the tranny as far as it will go. Hang the starter and run the engine... look at the flexplate. Odds are it is bent or cracked.

When it is apart, make sure the pads or Inertia Ring on the converter are flat and on the same plane.

g
Old 03-09-2008, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

What would cause a stock car to break the flexplate? Is it something i did? Is it the converter? I have never seen this before..Is it really that weak???
Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

did verter install today also and i have horrible vibrations like u speak of. Mine vibrates so bad it feels like the center concole is gunna fall apart and can feel it some in the steering wheel. It does it under all throttle pressure, and when at idle it is fine. other than that the converter functions perfect and locks up great. i changed the tranny mount to a energy suspension one, and i think that might be my problem, im gunna go back to stocker on monday, and see if that solves it. if you figure out the issue with yours please post up the results just incase the mount doesnt solve the issuse. i think that the plate between the tranny and the mount might have changed my pinion angle? anybody konw?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

yea i have the same vibration issue with the center console. i always use the stock mounting on cars i just feel its better..Now that I think about Yanks post i am thinking maybe the vibration is from The Yank crossmember. When i put it up, there really was not much room for adjustmnt at all. it was slotted but really it wouldnt move a centimeter.. Maybe my mount is binding..i know its not broken but i cant tell if its binding. i know it sits completely in the back of slot for the tranny mount and i cant shift or adjust anything..Thats not a good thing considering i tossed my stock crossmember well looks like ill take that of on monday and grind the holes a little maybe ill get some movement.. I wonder what Yank thinks about that.. Good or bad idea?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Some of the stock rubber mounts will touch the torque arm plate, so a slight grinding of the mount ear will stop this.

also I have seen the stock flexplate get a burr at the bolts holes from the stock converter and this must be ground down before the new converter is installed as it will hold the converter from attaching flat to the flexplate.

Where and when did you get the converter was it new or used
Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

It was used. I got it off of my buddies car with less then 1000 miles. He always babied his car as far as cruising, obviously got on it at the track which he ran a few high ten sec passes. Never floored it from a roll or anything. Literally i do see a lot of wobble at the ring gear on the flex plate, about 3/16 wobble. But were the converter tabs sit are pretty flat. I ordered A hawks racing SFI approved plate today so i will c what happens there. If it still vibrates I would love to send it to you guys to get it redone but Midwest Converters is a lot cheaper and i know they did a great job on both my other buddies cars. Plus they are 1 hour away from me so they can refresh while i wait.

Last edited by SuperSport01LS6; 03-09-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Why does the converter need to be redone? if it has 1000 miles on it?

Mid west does good work, but they do not have the special parts Yank uses to build our converters and if an item does need replacement it will get parts that are not correct for the converter as we see this all the time.
I have seen converters come back from other rebuilders that have been rebuilt with parts removed and lower cost parts installed!
cost of rebuilding the converter correctly is low as it will be returned as good a new unit
Give me a call so we can look up the converter history and give you more info and a price 775 826 9955 Dave or Mike
Old 03-09-2008, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Now that I think about it Maybe I will just send it to you guys. There is a bigger price difference but now that i think about it you do get what you pay for so After I get the flex plate in and there is still a vibration Ill just send it out to you for reassurance. I will call this week with the invoice number on the converter hopefully we can get something figured out Thanks for all the info, hints and help Ill keep in contact and let you know of the progress with the situation. Thanks again Yank

Search this Thread