Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual 4l80 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual 4l80 ?

Does anyone have a manual valve body 4l80 that drive on the street? How does it handle the stop and go? Does it churp the tires when shifting up and down? I'm thinking of going this route, but I don't know how it would work. I don't drive the car much, but I don't want it to fail premature. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually since you do retain presure control via either the modulator or some have kept the PCS to the shiftfeel is overall not different from the auto version except you control all the shifts. In fact its even possible for the PCM to continue controlling lockup .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a full manual with the 4L80e and I really like it. I believe I may be having some issues with a tranny mount or something however because when I downshift it into 2nd at around 30mph and 1st at around 15-20mph I hear and even "feel" an unpleasant knock type sound. It will not chirp the tires going into second gear, it will completely rape the tires going into second gear. You can see two long parallel tire marks for first gear with about a 2ft gap between another pair for second gear. I am running a 3500 stall on it right now and it is NOT locking up. I need to get that checked out, it is completely killing my gas mileage and hw mile enjoyment.

If I can get the knocking figured out from the downshifting, lockup for the stall converter, and a nice b&m shifter I will be as happy as I could be.

This is my daily driver, so the full manual may not be for everyone. BUT it makes driving it such a better experience IMO.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you having problems with the 6 speed? I plan on doing this in my 93 once the stock trans starts dying.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Are you having problems with the 6 speed? I plan on doing this in my 93 once the stock trans starts dying.

Yep, 6 speed is whinning like a eaton. It will be any day now, before it turns inside out. I'm leaning to an auto now, rather another t56. I just don't see the manual or clutches holding very long.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Is it a stocker or is it upgraded any? Your going to be going through a lot of clutches at your power level. It probably would be a good choice.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beaflag, were you asking me if my 80e was upgraded any or were you asking about Firechikn's 6-speed?

FYI I took it around for a while today and played on some back roads and all I can say is I have never had a car with shifts as incredibly fast and smooth as the forward manual 4L80e. Now, downshifting it...still working on smoothening that out. Goodluck guys
Old 03-23-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ Is it a stocker or is it upgraded any? Your going to be going through a lot of clutches at your power level. It probably would be a good choice.
All stock. I guess its held up longer than I expected. I think the only option would be a gforce, with their gears and forged shaft, but it's only rated for 800hp. I'm sure it would last longer than anything else, but how long. Then the clutch situation. The spec 5 holds good, but doesn't last long driving on the street. A twin disk would likely last longer, but you can plan on a rebuild once a year.

4l80 is looking better and better.