Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common problems out of 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Common problems out of 4L60E?

I know they are supposed to be fragile so what goes in them and how much has the aftermarket addressed with billet or better materials?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well the weak links are
1-SUN SHELL=ADDRESSED WITH THE BEAST SHELL
2-3/4 CLUTCH SET =ADRESSED INSEVERAL WAYS ADDITIONAL FRICTIONS AND OR UPGRADED FRICTION MATERIALS OR DESIGN ALONG WITH HYDRAULIC IMPROVMENTS
3-BAND GENERALLY UPGRADED TO A WIDE OR OTHER PERFORMANCE BAND WITH REINFORCED LUG AREA
4-INPUT SHAFT CAN BE HARDENED BUT I HAVE SEEN MORE OF AND ISSUE WITH THE INPUT DRUM ITSELF ALUMINUM WAS DEFINATLEY NOT THE BEST CHOICE BY GM.
5-HI RPM PRESURE LOSS THIS IS ADDRESSED WITH A HEAVY PUMP SLIDE SPRING.
6-THERE IS A BILLET OUTPUT SHAFT AVAILABLE ALSO.

AND MORE--

As for other things there are billet output shafts avaialble, 5 pinion planets, Larger servos for 2nd and 4th gears, And assortment of various shift kits etc.

But they are really not so fragile there are quite a few running in the tens with good results and even a few 9s but of course there does come a place where the 4l80e would be the trans of choice. But when possible most people I talk to would rather stay with the 60e as long as they can due to the weight and the substaintial cost of swapping to the 80E. I saw you have another post about a possible 80E swap and really its a matter of your goals and where your headed with the car that would determine your needs.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the hands of a skilled professional who builds the 4l60E regularly it is actually a formidable unit.

It gets a bum rap because there are many builders who did not and are not taking the time to research and develop the build properly. Many times the consumer will have a unit built and it will go back for repairs several times before he gives up entirely. It is those guys we like to show just what a Racing 4l60E should be.

Give me a shout and we can discuss some options for your car if you like.

Good Luck with it.

g
Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
In the hands of a skilled professional who builds the 4l60E regularly it is actually a formidable unit.

It gets a bum rap because there are many builders who did not and are not taking the time to research and develop the build properly. Many times the consumer will have a unit built and it will go back for repairs several times before he gives up entirely. It is those guys we like to show just what a Racing 4l60E should be.

Good Luck with it.

g
very well said.......................
Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Bravo!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

It all boils down to the guy putting it together. there are too many hacks out there and transmissions tend to be a bit of a black art to us normal guys. I went through a bunch of 700's with the wrong mechanic building them finally found a guy (local) who knew what he was doing and then the rear blew up. lol my luck. Sold the truck bought a new one. When the factory unit blows I'm definatley getting one from one of the sponsors here.

Moral of the story no just anybody can build these things.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Hello, I'm Kind of new to LS1tech, But I'm a long time lurker here.

I recently finished my LS1 RX7 swap( v8rx7forum.com member for along time).

I just had some "dumb newbie" questions on 4L60E trans.

After completing my build and running the car about 200 miles or so i thought is was time to try out a "hard launch" just to see what it would do.

Well the end result was alot more then I expected,It launched good at first, little wheel hop but I kind of expected that.

What I did NOT expect was the revs to hit 6K and NO tire spin. I'm pretty sure the culprit was oil starvation in the trans. I imediately let off fearing I broke something.

After this it seemed fine, no new slippage or any weird behavior at all. All fluids were up as well.

Is this a common problem in these transmissions? I mean Under "hard" acceleration?

My trans is "bone stock" engine is as well, nothing special about the car other then being a second gen RX7 with stock differential. I'm just wondering if you guys have had anything like this in your experience.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ratchthed

Good Luck with it.

g

thats what im saying Gilbert!!! there are guys that run 10's on the stock tranny, with spray and a big *** cam!! and have no issues at all.. thats why i cant say 4l60E are junk just cuz ive also heard of stock trannies lasting longer than peoples beefed up 4L60E. but dont get me wrong though, im saving up for an upgraded tranny.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1toDV8
Hello, I'm Kind of new to LS1tech, But I'm a long time lurker here.

I recently finished my LS1 RX7 swap( v8rx7forum.com member for along time).

I just had some "dumb newbie" questions on 4L60E trans.

After completing my build and running the car about 200 miles or so i thought is was time to try out a "hard launch" just to see what it would do.

Well the end result was alot more then I expected,It launched good at first, little wheel hop but I kind of expected that.

What I did NOT expect was the revs to hit 6K and NO tire spin. I'm pretty sure the culprit was oil starvation in the trans. I imediately let off fearing I broke something.

After this it seemed fine, no new slippage or any weird behavior at all. All fluids were up as well.

Is this a common problem in these transmissions? I mean Under "hard" acceleration?

My trans is "bone stock" engine is as well, nothing special about the car other then being a second gen RX7 with stock differential. I'm just wondering if you guys have had anything like this in your experience.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Actually the 60E is very particular about fluid levels . Just a little low and they can do that. make sure the level is at or even a little over the top of the cross hatch .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Actually the 60E is very particular about fluid levels . Just a little low and they can do that. make sure the level is at or even a little over the top of the cross hatch .
Hey thanks VERY much!

I will check it over (and pray for no problems!). The future says its getting a shift kit and a refresh anyway and probably a stall converter, I just dont want it to have to be NOW!

It took me almost 2 years to complete it and I'd really like to enjoy it for a while til next winter when I can get the time to redo the trans.

As for now I got bigger things to worry about with it like the rear end!

As in most cases you gotta try it out just to see whats gonna happen, I'm glad it was just this!

Having spent most of my working days as a diesel mechanic, theses car parts are a bit new to me. But the principles are the same.

Again thanks for the input! I'm still a rookie with it so its all a big help.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Update!

I've since checked the trans out "pretty" well, and well? I think it was in "limp mode". since this post not only has it been "solid", but it has won a couple trophies! Thanks for the input on these trannies guys! Mine works great now!

Ive gone from being a 13 to 14 second car to well? To ( I'm still guessing) about a 12 second car! Not only does it shift hard but its so tight in the performance thru out all the gears! I'm definately doing a shift kit this winter.

1986 RX7 LS1/4L60E, bone stock( for now). Thinkin N2O methanol water injection for about 150 to 200 more HP! Trying to keep the daily driving aspect of what I got on a switch for the lil lady!

MAN ITS A FUN CAR!