Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long would the tranny last?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long would the tranny last?

How long would my transmission last if I did some major power upgrades this summer? I'm thinking about going with a fast 90/90 combo and a heads/cam package that is not too huge (cam maybe 228/228 or something). Would that be stupid because the tranny would just blow up, or would it last at least until next year when I could upgrade it? It has 26k miles on it right now.

I need this car to be faster than the new camaros when they come out because my dad is getting the fastest version they release.... lol. And I can't have him beating me. I have either that option, or going with a built tranny/heads/cam combo with no intake (I have LS6/ported TB now). What do you think?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole thing lies in how any times you stick your foot into it at that power level.

There is no way to predict when a piece of machinery will fail.

g
Old 04-03-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats definitely a million dollar question!! good thing we have good guys like ACE, FLT, CIRCLE D, and PERFORMABUILT for bullet proof trannies..

but if your tranny seems good and healthy then i would. i finally just threw a cam and 3200 stall on my car. im kinda worried, but it seems fine. i will be doing heads but ill make sure my tranny gets beefed up before i do heads. there are alot of guys with H/C on the stock trans with no issues.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I'm rethinking now and I could probably do the cam and tranny this year and then do the heads next year. The heads and tranny are kinda similar in price. Then I wouldn't have to worry about it at all....
Old 04-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

well just think about it this way. GM did not put the 4L60E behind the 6.0L but they did put it behind the 5.7. They didn't count on it handling much more power than the stock LS1 put out. With that being said who knows how long you could make it last. It's all in how you drive it.