Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 transam shift kit questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 transam shift kit questions?

i have a 98 transam all stock with i belive to be a 4l60e a4? id like to install a shift kit? just wanted to know some more info about them? how hard are they to install? how much quicker will it be at the track and who makes the best kit?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Teching In

I would first let you know that I am a semi-novice installer. I installed a shift kit in my '00 last october, and I have never been able get my pan to stop leaking. It took me about a solid 12 hours, and was the messiest install I have ever done. Tranny Fluid all over the place. The actual install wasn't too bad if you go slow and take your time. The directions sucked, and the tape was not that great. You need to make sure that you watch the video and look at the directions at the same time. Anyway, I am sure that if I did it, you can too. As for the track times, I haven't got a chance to run it yet, but I have heard that there won't be too much of an improvement, if at all. But if you get a higher stall, they are pretty much necessary. So I hope my rambling helps, good luck.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a transgo shift kit and take it to a shop. i dont think its that expensive if an install?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

I did it in my driveway on jackstands in like 8 hours with a friend. If you can get a filter and gasket kit with a cork gasket, they seal better. I was able to run the same time at the track with a .3 slower 60 foot, I dont know if that really makes sense but I think I picked up a little. The way the tranny shifts after the shift kit is so much better then before. Crisp and fast. Probably one of the most noticeable things I have done to my car. It will also make the tranny last longer.

I would say that if you consider yourself mechanical enough to really work on your car at all you shouldnt have a problem installing a shift kit as long as you follow the instructions and take your time. There is really nothing that is really difficult involved.

I did the transgo hd2 kit and am very happy with it.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

I am mechanicly inclined an all but there are just some things i dont want to do and that was one of them, i just sent it to my buddys trans shop to have him install the shift kit, torque convertor, and rebuild the trans with stronger parts inside. At least i know it will be done right and if there are any problems i dont have to deal with it. Just my .02