Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locked?? unlocked??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locked?? unlocked??

whats better,,,a lockup style stall or unlocked? help!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it really depends. Most people prefer a lockup style converter so they can get decent gas mileage on the highway.

In any stall converter, when not "locked up" it maintains its ability to "stall". So, say you have a 3500rpm stall converter. When you floor it on WOT it will flash to 3500rpms, like dumping a clutch in a standard vehicle. However, while it remains unlocked, you will feel some "looseness" in your throttle. By looseness I mean that you will be revving to a higher RPM on normal, light throttle take offs from stop lights, etc. When driving 30mph, instead of giving it gas and immediately accelerating under low RPM torque, the unlocked converter will probably slack up to 2200-2700rpms depending on speed, gears, stall size,etc.

Now, in a lockup style converter, the stall converter will "lock up" at a certain speed. This is usually over 45mph or so, because locking up to low will cause cam surge, bucking, rough idle, etc. So, say your stall lockup speed is 50mph. You will be accelerating up to 50mph with your converter unlocked. It will probably be around 3000rpms under medium throttle application. Once you hit 50mph, the stall will "lockup" and you will loose ALL looseness. It will go back to feeling essentially stock on the highway. The advantage to this is that you can use your low RPM torque to accelerate and maintain highway speed without excessive RPMs.

I really do not know if there is an advantage to having a non-lockup stall converter.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very well put "SVT This"

I agree, why would you put a non lock up style converter in a transmission that is capable of lock up. That is the beauty of technology today, you can have a 4000 stall that you can drive on the freeway and get 20+MPG, and still get a great 60'.

Chris