Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan leak

alright so i just got done installing the shift kit. now i have a problem. after i bolted everything back up, i started pouring in the trans fluid. after every quart i checked to make sure there were no leaks. after pouring 3 quarts in, it became clear that there was fluid leaking through the gasket near the shift connector bolts. luckily i did not pour in all 5 quarts yet. so i started over in an attempt to discover a problem. no problem. so i reinstalled everything and attempted the procedure again. same dam thing. what can i do to solve this problem? if your wonddering the shift kit was from B&M and i know some will criticize but im past that, just want to know what the hell i can do to fix this. I wanna drive her!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:39 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you install a new gasket and torque the pan bolts 98-108inlbs? Also make sure that the pan rail where the gasket sits is flat. Sometimes when the bolts have been over torqued the pan will be distorted there. Vince
Old 04-12-2008, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

yea i replaced the gasket completely. torqued it correctly. the gasket from b&m is like a cork material but im thnking...if i put some adhesive between the pan and the gasket, could that help some leaking? prevent any from leaking between small cracks? thanks for the help
Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I personally do like to use silicone. A good flat surface and properly torqued bolts should work just fine. I do however prefer a fibre style gasket over the cork.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

alright so inspected the gasket closely and found some cracks...i thnk that may have eeb the problem. where can i find a fiber style gasket?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

They are normally black or brown. I get them from a local trans parts supplier or the dealer. The one from the dealer is black. Good luck and glad you were able to see why it leaked. Vince