Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best (cheapest) way to convert TH400 to VSS for speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Best (cheapest) way to convert TH400 to VSS for speedo?

I know there are some plug and play VSS's out there for this. What is the cheapest way to do it?
Old 08-05-2003, 02:31 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Best (cheapest) way to convert TH400 to VSS for speedo?

GM PN 12085498 - Electrical connector. Splice this into your existing connector and it will plug into the tranny.

GM PN 8655291 - Sensor, this should be the VSS sensor that bolts into the tranny.

GM PN 8655315 - Sensor wheel, this is the gear that will generate the pulse signals.

To be honest if you have any VSS sensor in there you can use LS1 edit to adjust the VSS pulse rate by modifying the tire size until you get it right. I had to go out on the freeway and run the car in 3rd at 2500 RPM, get the MPH off AutoTap and adjust the VSS setting until the true 2500 RPM / MPH was acheived. It took a 56" tire, but it works. I do not use the VSS wheel that I listed above, that one should get you closer.

Total cost, less LS1 edit, $140.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks dude! So since I have LS1 edit, I can just fab the connector to the standard TH400 output? I thought the TH400 had a mechanical type sender that fed a cable?
Old 08-05-2003, 05:19 PM
The Bull

The sensor wheel is actually pressed onto the output shaft inside the transmission. It replaces the mechanical one that is there. This step requires some diassembly. Rossler did this for me when they built mine. Then the sensor bolts into the transmission just like the TCS/ABS sensors work on our axles. Then clip in the wire to the new sensor. It's a complete replacement of the existing mechanical setup. If you already have that all together you may have to find some other alternative instead.

Also, if you have the Ultra Bell, you must notch the top of the bell to clear the four bolt heads that stick out of the rear cover. If you don't you're asking for trouble as it will throw the alignment off quite a bit, even though everything will bolt up.

I've got all sorts of pictures of mine on my website under http://www.dertyracing.net/install/th400. I'll put a page up later.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

I bought thr tranny complete, so not sure if I will even run a speedo. Since my car was a MN6, it won't hurt anything. I can't afford the extras right now I was going to get a Rossler tranny, but couldn't scrounge up enough.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:04 PM
The Bull

Do the instrument panel drill mod. Gut the stock speedo and replace it with a mechnical AutoMeter, and a mechanical tach? Hell, get the rest of the gauges and just build a carbon fiber panel to hold them all there.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

I have actually been considering that since I am doing "Project Retro" any way

With the car apart, I am moving the PCM inside the firewall, and deleting all the extra crap in the engine bay. The bay will painted black with a red block, aluminum heads, and silver painted intake and valve covers.

I wonder how hard it would be to remove the entire cluster and replace all the gauges with Autometer stuff? I think it would be very interesting for the car shows
Old 08-06-2003, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of doing the same thing with sheetmetal, and Autometer gauges. But its #4876 on my to do list, and right now I am on #13.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:43 AM
The Bull

I believe George Coffey did the instrument cluster with AutoMeter gauges.

Quick Reply: Best (cheapest) way to convert TH400 to VSS for speedo?