Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

here is a good one for ya

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default here is a good one for ya

i have a 2001 ls1 camaro with an auto trans . which i have fried . so im getting a new stage 3 trans from outlaw transmissions ( they do all the work for vengeance racing by the way . Any way i called and the owner said my 4l60e is actually a 4l65e , he went on about the top bolt on the bell housing and the neutral safety switch , so lets pretend , well lets not pretend im an idiot when it comes to transmissions because i am , is what he is telling me right bc im about to fork over allot of cash and is the 4l65e a direct replacement how is this , i was sure my ls1 had the 4l60e please help , and thanks
Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default some one help

someone has to know this i need ya
Old 05-10-2008, 08:00 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to take shots at the builder here. However he is making reference to the LS1 bellhousing being the designation for a 4l65e. Meaning that it has the 12 o'clock bolt hole. He is totally wrong. Both the 4l60e and the 4l65e have been used in this style case. What makes a 65 what it is, is the internal components. Mainly 5 pinion planetaries and supposedly some harder internal shafts. I would ask him if the unit comes with 5 pinion planets. Also ask him who makes the planets he uses. If they are not OEM AC Delco parts, I would suggest not using them. There are some cheap knockoffs out there that are very poor in quality. IMO The 4l65e was a unit that is used in trucks. He is correct about the linkage and neutral switch for that application. However a 4l60e can be built using the correct internal components basically making it a 4l65e by installing the planets. We refer to it a 65 based units or a FLT level 5. In your situation your trans uses a short linkage and the neutral switch is not located on the transmission. With that being said you have a 4l60e in your car from the factory. However it is a LS1 style 4l60e and not a 65 just because of the bellhousing like the builder is telling you. Good luck in which ever direction you choose to take. Feel free to give us a call to discuss your situation. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 05-10-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: PM sent
Old 05-10-2008, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

As Vince was saying the guy is referring to e LS1 style as a 65e. Several of our core suppliers do this also. I would not say this means he does not know how to build them just for some reason many people use 65e as the designation for the LSX style 4l60e. I am not familiar with OUTLAW TRANSMISSIONS however.

Call 888-744-6542