Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E converter fully seated at only 7/8" from bellhousing??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E converter fully seated at only 7/8" from bellhousing??

After fighting with my converter for the past few days I'm pretty certain I came to the conclusion that it is fully seated in the tranny but the measurement from the bellhousing is only 7/8". I eyed up the flat spots on the tranny and converter, slid the converter in through all 3 clicks, spun the converter 1/4 turn and removed. The flat spots moved with the converter and it sounds like the pump is engaged. So if all this is true what do I do now? I heard the correct measurement is 1.030". I'll also add that I'm physically and mentally frustrated from all this tranny work the past couple days.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

If it clicked in 3 times...then it is in. regardless of your measurements, the converter is fully seated.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I had this post saved from when I did mine. 1.030 is what this says. .030 is 3/100th of an inch though. So 1" is basically what it should be. I'm curious if the TCI flexplate is thicker and causing some of your problems.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your pump inner gear it might be installed the wrong way
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Ok now you're talking greek to me. Can I just unbolt the pump from the front of the tranny? Will it be pretty obvious if this is the problem? This is on a new hughes built tranny.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen where the lockup oring in the input shaft will cause an issue similar to what you have. You might have to lightly tap the converter in just a bit. I would try to remove the oring once and reinstall the converter. If your results are the same then the oring is not the issue. If does go in any further then you know what is holding you up. The advise above on the pump gear being in upside down is good advise. I have seen this happen in my years of this business and is a possibility. Good luck. Vince
Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

I had a similar issue with the Circle D I have....clicked in 3 times but didn't seem to seat in as far as it should have.

We beat our heads on the wall for about an hour trying to figure it out and then decided to give it a shot and bolt it up but taking particular care to ensure it didn't bind up as we got everything bolted in (i.e. ensure it spins freely as we slowly torqued everything down).

Bolted up fine took it out on the street and drove fine.

Drove it 300 miles home with zero issues.

Oh and I forgot that we had spare shafts that we put it on with no issues before making these decisions.

And this was with a 4L60
Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast GTO
I had a similar issue with the Circle D I have....clicked in 3 times but didn't seem to seat in as far as it should have.

We beat our heads on the wall for about an hour trying to figure it out and then decided to give it a shot and bolt it up but taking particular care to ensure it didn't bind up as we got everything bolted in (i.e. ensure it spins freely as we slowly torqued everything down).

Bolted up fine took it out on the street and drove fine.

Drove it 300 miles home with zero issues.

Oh and I forgot that we had spare shafts that we put it on with no issues before making these decisions.

And this was with a 4L60
My converters will look like they stick out further that most. My billet fronts are a little extreme and look like they are sticking out further than stock.

Which does bring us to a new question, what kind of converter are you trying to stab. If it is an aftermarket converter and not OEM, it might look different. You could try and stab the transmission to the motor. You should have about 1/8 clearance between the converter and flex-plate. You are basically sticking out 1/8 than normal. So if you stab it and it is rubbing the flex-plate, then something is wrong. DO NOT put any bolts in when you do this, if the converter is sticking out to far, you could crack the bell-housing or damage the pump.

Vince's idea about the O'ring is a possibility, and is very easy to check. Do that first.

Chris
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Launching!

This is a yank converter. When bolted down to the motor it is flush with the TCI flexplate. It was a concern and after a previous post I didn't think it was seated and pulled the tranny. How do I check the O ring or pump gear?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where are you located?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Launching!

I'm in Ohio
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Launching!

I think Vince was correct. I got time tonite and I put a piece of wood against the converter and lightly tapped it. After a couple I felt it bottom out. Now I have the correct distance from the bellhousing. I plan to reinstall it tomorrow and see if it's a better fit.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

good. its kinda a pita to flip that pump gear.. especially if you are not auto-trans friendly
Old 05-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

This wouldnt happen to be a Fuddle converter would it??

Quick Reply: 4L80E converter fully seated at only 7/8" from bellhousing??