Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 4L60 help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 4L60 help.

I have a 98 Trans Am all stock. I notice that if I go WOT for the 1-2 shift I get a screech from the trans. I know from owning other cars with 700R4s that this is probably the begining of the end for my trans. The noise is really brief and only at WOT, but I would like the trans to last as long as possible. Right now the fluid is a brownish orange color and I want to change it with some fresh non-synthetic Dexron ATF. Would it be a good idea to throw in a mild shift kit? I eventually want to swap the trans for a T56 but I would like the A4 to last the summer. Any suggestions on fluid, additives, filters, and shift kits would be appreciated.

I guess it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a cheap trans cooler either.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would suggest first removing the pan and inspecting. If theres alt of debris in pan I would simply change the fluid and filter and baby it till your ready for the t56 swap if thats what you want to do though the autos are faster Adding a shift kit such as the TRANSGO HD2 while it can increase the life of a good trans at the same time can hasten the death of one already on its last legs

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Know autos are faster when done right but I had one 6 speed car and miss it. Then again its nice not having to shift. I have been babying the poor thing since the third time it screeched at me and my cousin asked if I chirped the tires... I wish. It has not been over 3k rpm and 1/2 throttle since.