Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new "seperator plate" advise please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a new "seperator plate" advise please.

Alright, i'm in the process of tearing down my trans for a rebuild. After I removed the valve body and the accumulator housing and started pulling the check ***** out with a magnet, I discovered one that might as well have been welded in. So I guess I need a new seperator plate, I already have new check ***** on hand. Car is a 1996 lt1 w/4l60e.

I need to order a dual cage sprag and a "beast" also, but just looking for advice on where and what I need to look for for a seperator plate. Is there a modified version of it I should be looking into, or should I just put a stocker in?

Also with the ball that was basicly welded in place, what effects would that have on the way the car was driving.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The check ball that is stuck is for second gear. So I am assuming that you had some sort of issue there. You have a couple different options when replacing this plate. You can get a transgo plate which is thicker and that particular hole that has the ball beat into it is actually smaller giving the plate a bit more life over stock. Or get an OEM plate and use torlon check ***** from sonnax. The torlon ***** are basically plastic and will make that transmission separator plate live for a very long time probably longer then the trans. We use this in all of our builds at FLT. I have been using these ***** in many different transmissions for over 10 years with great success. Vince
Old 05-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Actually the reason i pulled the rans it the car would either have a really hard time shifting from 2-1 or engaging 1 at all, and the 1-2 shifts were hard as hell. All other gears worked fine. Thanks for the info on the torlon *****. The transgo plate is the one I had been looking at.

Any advice on things to look for on a 4l60e that couldnt engage first? it would actually shift very late into first gear when i was nearly to a stop and yank the car forward through the brakes about 2ft. Then when I would try to pull away from the stop at times it would not engage first at all and just freewheel but it would sometimes slam into first and sometimes just engage very slowly. All other gears worked fine including lockup. It was just getting going initially that was the trouble. I could manually select 2nd or third and the car would take off fine, just no first.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

my built trans did that same thing...only once though....so i yanked it out and dropped a TH400 and never worry about it anymore...

Quick Reply: Need a new "seperator plate" advise please.