Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping in 4th lock up 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slipping in 4th lock up 4L60E

Last night I was cruising the freeway At 62mph (the limit in Aus) and when the car was on cruise control it didn't feel like it was locking up.

It also was occasionally fluctuating in revs from 2000rpm (where it should be locked at that speed) up to 3200rpm. It would do this regardless of wether I was up hill or level but every minute or so.

Not good I know but could this be an electronic fault or is it more likely to be some hard parts? I have just rectified a 1-2 shift circuit solenoid fault a few weeks ago and am trying to figure out if I have electrical gremlins or a munched box.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

Drove it some more today and couldn't fault the box except in 4th, it's all over the shop. Searching and when it should be kicking back it locks up and when it should be locking up it's dropping and then revving.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like the converter is locking and unlocking, Have you look at the data stream to see whats being commanded when this happens as far as TCC enable/disable POSSIBLE ENGINE MISSFIRE at cruise causing lockup disable perhaps

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

That sounds like the first symptom I had when mine soon after went to the big junkyard in the sky.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Sounds like the converter is locking and unlocking, Have you look at the data stream to see whats being commanded when this happens as far as TCC enable/disable POSSIBLE ENGINE MISSFIRE at cruise causing lockup disable perhaps

No I haven't checked codes as yet, I have a 2nd car and since I've been having so many trans issues of late I can't be bothered. The weird thing is it only happens in 4th???

I've been told it might be the 3rd clutch pack but on the 2-3 shift it still clicks in at WOT like a champ. I'll post again once I pull some codes.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by super_fro_daddy
That sounds like the first symptom I had when mine soon after went to the big junkyard in the sky.
Mine may see yours there soon LOL
Old 05-23-2008, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chargedvx6
The weird thing is it only happens in 4th???

I am pretty sure converter lockup is only commanded in 4th gear so thats why it would only happen in 4th.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
I am pretty sure converter lockup is only commanded in 4th gear so thats why it would only happen in 4th.
That is relative to the PCM tune. From the factoy the unit will lock up in 3rd gear.

It also was occasionally fluctuating in revs from 2000rpm (where it should be locked at that speed) up to 3200rpm. It would do this regardless of wether I was up hill or level but every minute or so.

As far as the symptoms of the OP's car... that is a pretty a large RPM swing for it to be a lock up issue. The converter clutch is only good for a few hundred RPM's. Not as much as 1,200 rpm's.

I would suggest that there is slippage in the 3/4 clutches or in the band.

My recommendation would be to get a scanner on it and see what is being commended vs. what is taking place. At that point it may require data logging to determine the fault.

In addition... what is the fluid condition?

g
Old 05-24-2008, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Yeah it's on a stock tune so it retains the lockup in 3rd cruise and 4th cruise.

Gil, I did a service on it 2 weeks ago and 1 month b4 that to try and get the burnt fluid out from a previous issue caused by faulty A & B solenoids. It is burnt again with some sediment in it. I haven't dropped the pan to check for materials in the pan because I'm over this box. I'm getting it rebuilt next week.

My main concern is: what lead to these various issues in the past few months? It seems to be one thing after another since I fitted the shift kit. Gose great then something dies, fix that, goes great, then another issue!

Thanks for all the input fellas, I will post up the cause next week to bring some resolution to my post.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chargedvx6
Thanks for all the input fellas, I will post up the cause next week to bring some resolution to my post.

And that resolution was....?
Old 03-28-2020, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by iigw
And that resolution was....?
The member who posted this thread has not signed-in to this forum since: 05-09-2016 05:52 PM

You can try sending a private message; hoping that member will receive an e-mail notification of the private message...
Old 04-15-2020, 01:46 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

I am closing this very old thread.

Quick Reply: Slipping in 4th lock up 4L60E