Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recalibrate my shift points?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recalibrate my shift points?

Well I have posted several times on this forum about the transmission that I had rebuilt. First question is did I pay too much? I paid $2,300.00 for them to rebuild the transmission cause 3rd and 4th clutch seized up! After the first time I took it to them, i had to take it back 2 days later for the same thing!! they said it needed a shift kit......so they installed a shift kit.......now it shift fine around town but if i take it to the track to do quarter mile runs third gear at WOT bounces off the rev limiter and won't shift unless i get out of the throttle and get back into it again!!! They insist that i need to have the shift points recalibrated.......but what would replacing the trans with stock parts and a shift kit have to do with my computer.......the last time i talked to the mech, he said he would ask around and give me a call back that was a month ago!!! And now I am fed up!!! I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, because they still haven't fixed the underlying problem. Does my computer need to be recalibrated for some reason???? sorry for the long post someone please help me!!!

Last edited by clg82; 06-03-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

+1 my are really bad right not and it has a lot of troubles going into gears. I lost to my buddies mustang because of it. Anybody know why it does that?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by clg82
Well I have posted several times on this forum about the transmission that I had rebuilt. First question is did I pay too much? I paid $2,300.00 for them to rebuild the transmission cause 3rd and 4th clutch seized up! After the first time I took it to them, i had to take it back 2 days later for the same thing!! they said it needed a shift kit......so they installed a shift kit.......now it shift fine around town but if i take it to the track to do quarter mile runs third gear at WOT bounces off the rev limiter and won't shift unless i get out of the throttle and get back into it again!!! They insist that i need to have the shift points recalibrated.......but what would replacing the trans with stock parts and a shift kit have to do with my computer.......the last time i talked to the mech, he said he would ask around and give me a call back that was a month ago!!! And now I am fed up!!! I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, because they still haven't fixed the underlying problem. Does my computer need to be recalibrated for some reason???? sorry for the long post someone please help me!!!
Well that is alot for a stock built unit. But as for the shift issue, First you need to determine if the shifts being commanded. But if you have a stack converter in either this case or the one bellow reprograming should not be needed.
But some trans related possibilities are:
1-Line pressure to high flooding solenoids at WOT
2-Solenoid feeds enlarged causing solenoid flooding, I have seen this were for some reason builders enlarge these in the plates
You could perhaps take this information back to them.

Originally Posted by z28matt
+1 my are really bad right not and it has a lot of troubles going into gears. I lost to my buddies mustang because of it. Anybody know why it does that?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well that is alot for a stock built unit. But as for the shift issue, First you need to determine if the shifts being commanded. But if you have a stack converter in either this case or the one bellow reprograming should not be needed.
But some trans related possibilities are:
1-Line pressure to high flooding solenoids at WOT
2-Solenoid feeds enlarged causing solenoid flooding, I have seen this were for some reason builders enlarge these in the plates
You could perhaps take this information back to them.
Would a handheld like hypertech be able to help me fix any of those?

Here is what they said they did on the invoice let me know what you think if anything that they did that would cause the computer not to command the shift:
Rebuild Kit 96 and Up Deep Pan $356.72
Input Drum $72.80
Shift Kit $126.87
Alto Pack $75.36
Torque Converter (rebuilt) $503.00
Friction Modifier $24.36
Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You just need to look at the data on the hand held and se if the shift is indeed being commanded

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

You just need to look at the data on the hand held and se if the shift is indeed being commanded
ok thanks, but i am still confused as to why the work they did would alter the computer at all?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its shouldn't if converter is stock however its the easiest thing to check first

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Its shouldn't if converter is stock however its the easiest thing to check first
Well after looking up the part number for the torque converter the part number if GM92, and online it says that it is "GM92 .............. PRO II Series 9" Race Converter" would this cause my shifts to act funny and how would i fix this with a handheld?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The 9 inch converter would indeed affect your shift points, I would post this question in the tuning section, But in most all cases if the stall exceeds 2800-3000 rpm some tuning may be required,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-04-2008, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

The 9 inch converter would indeed affect your shift points, I would post this question in the tuning section, But in most all cases if the stall exceeds 2800-3000 rpm some tuning may be required,
Well i just called a place that sells converters and they said that the GM92 converter wouldn't even work in my 2000 4l60e transmission any truth to that?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You really would ned more information like who made the converter , If its a 9 inch i doubt GM made it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-04-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

? bout the converter problem but a handheld can change your shift points!, got diablo fs. pm me.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

You really would ned more information like who made the converter , If its a 9 inch i doubt GM made it
Well needless to say I contacted the mechanic, and he said bring it back in tomorrow and they are going to try and fix it once again at no charger. What if anything should I ask the trans guy about the rebuild etc. etc. etc......