Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Transmission Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Transmission Tuning

Hey guys i know many of you go with the Transgo HD2 shift kit, but i have an opportunity to HP Tune my 99 ls1 A4 almost for free with a friend. The question is how well would the transmission shift with an hp tune? I have 3:23 gears as well. Any response would be great
Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99transamjm
The question is how well would the transmission shift with an hp tune?
It depends on what you put into a tune. It's not a plug/load/and go deal.

I'd get rid of all TM, engine and trans, plus the parts of TM thats not labled as TM.
A bunch of people are going to disagree with that but you know what, **** em.
Then run it, see how it shifts at all throttle positions.

If it lags try changing the desired shift time only at the point where it lags. I've had good luck with the upshift pressure modifiers, changing them can give you a smooth shift at low load and firm as load increases. I wouldn't go over a +10 change.

Base shift pressure vs torque vs gear can elimiate a lag and improve shift timing also.

I never had to make big number changes. And don't do anything to the force motor current or any other pressure tables.

And get rid of lock up in third, with the elimination of PWM TCC apply it feels like a shift/slip/shift when it locks in third, unlocks to shift, and locks back in fourth.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine doesnt lock in 3rd unless my shifter is on 3rd.. it didnt do it stock either.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
mine doesnt lock in 3rd unless my shifter is on 3rd.. it didnt do it stock either.
Do you have PWM'd TCC apply eliminated?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 AM
Banned

This is what every stock F Body TCC apply/release table that I've ever seen looks like.

You never feel lockup in third until you mechanically eliminate it.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a transgo lvl 3 shift kit, so maybe i did have it mechanically eliminated. i know it takes out PWM so maybe it took that out too.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

TransGo doesn't make a kit called level three BTW. I don't know where people come up with this ****.
And TCC can't be mechanically eliminated only in third.
When I say you can't feel lock up in third until you mechanically eliminate it I mean mech eliminate PWM'd TCC apply.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

well i got my car tuned today as i mentioned before, and the HP Tune did get me very quick solid shifts, not too firm but alot better than stock, car was able to chirp tires around 45mph with new sporty tires, the guy who tuned the car said if i wanted harder shifts that a shift kit and slight tune would be ideal, I also got a basic tune on other things on the car, anyway, my car is running a whole lot better thanks to HP Tuning software.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99transamjm
well i got my car tuned today as i mentioned before, and the HP Tune did get me very quick solid shifts, not too firm but alot better than stock, car was able to chirp tires around 45mph with new sporty tires, the guy who tuned the car said if i wanted harder shifts that a shift kit and slight tune would be ideal, I also got a basic tune on other things on the car, anyway, my car is running a whole lot better thanks to HP Tuning software.
The hp tune on your tranny will not perform like a shift kit a shift kit has a bit more pull in it when it shift like when i hit 2nd gear my tires scretch and you can feel the pull and this was with 2 passengers.
This was a B&m Shift kit. I had hp tune at 1st its not alike at all Go to the track with tuned tranny then go with a shift kit.

Last edited by Blk_Ws6; 06-17-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Add on.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
TransGo doesn't make a kit called level three BTW. I don't know where people come up with this ****.
And TCC can't be mechanically eliminated only in third.
When I say you can't feel lock up in third until you mechanically eliminate it I mean mech eliminate PWM'd TCC apply.
TransGo does manufacture an HD-3 Reprogramming kit for the 4L60E... it is often referred to as a "level three" shift kit. It is the kit that will take a 4L60E to a full manual state.

It's just the same as High Stall Torque Converters are often referred to as "Stalls".

Sunset'01Z's transmission is an ACE Stage 2 unit. It was built with a TransGo HD-2 Reprgramming kit. I'm sure you are aware that it deletes PWM mechanically.

He has not had a Tranny Tune since the build and therefore his 3rd gear lock up is still enabled.

g
Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
TransGo does manufacture an HD-3 Reprogramming kit for the 4L60E... it is often referred to as a "level three" shift kit. It is the kit that will take a 4L60E to a full manual state.

Sunset'01Z's transmission is an ACE Stage 2 unit. It was built with a TransGo HD-2 Reprgramming kit. I'm sure you are aware that it deletes PWM mechanically.

He has not had a Tranny Tune since the build and therefore his 3rd gear lock up is still enabled.

g
I am aware of the HD-3 kit, the guy with the HD-2 says it's a level three and it's YOUR stage 2. Which still leads me where the hell did level 3 come into this , and for that matter whats all this even have to do with the original question.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I am aware of the HD-3 kit, the guy with the HD-2 says it's a level three and it's YOUR stage 2. Which still leads me where the hell did level 3 come into this , and for that matter whats all this even have to do with the original question.
Most folks are not as informed as yourself, it's not necessary to talk down to them when they do not use proper terminology. I would encourage you to help those folks who are not as knowledgeable as you are. That's how we all get better and smarter. Not everybody is as interested in transmissions as you and I and some others here, that means they are going to make mistakes with terminology from time to time.

Sometimes we have to read between the lines in order to understand what folks are trying to convey. It can be difficult, but exercising patience helps those guys in the long run.

I'm sure Wade had all the best intentions when he described his transmission and conditions in response to your original comments regarding PWM and 3rd gear TCC application.

This discussion has everything to do with the OP's Transmission Tune. If anyone has been paying attention they have learned that it is advantageous to delete 3rd gear lock up and TCC PWM in a High Performance 4L60E.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

g
Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ratchthed

Hope that clears it up a bit.

g
Yes, sometimes I don't even look at the user names and someone else jumps in and I get confused.