Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Automatic Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Automatic Transmission
4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
How do I change this text
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 26
Default 4L80e rebuild. Direct drum, 5 plates with wave plate, or 6 plates without wave plate?

Click the image to open in full size.
I finally got started on my 4l80e rebuild. I'm to the point of rebuilding the Direct Clutch assy. I have a Transgo HD-2 rebuild kit and I replaced the springs on the direct drive assy, but the Transgo instruction specify to make sure and use a wave or cushion plate with their kit. My trans had already been rebuilt for performance. It had no wave plate and stock return spring, but instead had additional composite friction plate.
Click the image to open in full size.

SO.......
Which is better?
A direct drum assy with 6 sets of plates, stock springs, with no cushion?
OR
A direct drum assy with 5 sets of plates, Transgo springs, with a cushion plate?

It seams to me the additional plates would have a better 2>3 shift, but the heavy duty springs would have a better 3>2 down shift.... sound right?
2007 CCSB LTZ ~ Happy ??S475????
1969 Charger Twins in the works

Wilde Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

on my 400s I personally leave out the wave plate and take every other return spring out. if you use thinner steels and a thin piston you can stack 7 frictions in it not that its needed but you can lol...To add this is on my personal builds.

Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

performabuilt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 15

I took out the wave plate also.
Firechikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 10

I have 8 plates in mine. It came stock like that. I got rid of the spring steel cushion plate for a old type th400 steel wave plate. Still 8 frictions.
9000th01ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
How do I change this text
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 26

i talked to a transgo they said ALWAS ALWAS run a wave plate. the tech said you will brake an input shaft before you slip that clutch.
??????
2007 CCSB LTZ ~ Happy ??S475????
1969 Charger Twins in the works

Wilde Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilde Racing View Post
i talked to a transgo they said ALWAS ALWAS run a wave plate. the tech said you will brake an input shaft before you slip that clutch.
??????
Yea my dually can chirp second and third with the waved plate. Some builders recommend two waved plates.

Just don't use the stock blue spring steel convex plate, they break. Use the old th400 waved plate.
9000th01ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
PBA
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

The stiffer return springs are there for few reasons. One, quicker downshifts. Two, smoother apply at light throttle openings. Three, they keep the clutches from getting into trouble in the top end of first gear from accidently coming on from centrifuging. The waved steel/s keep/s the splines from taking a hard hit by preloading it. In otherwords the waved steel takes up the slack before the clutches are completely applied. You won't feel the difference when using a waved steel, but the transmission will know in the long run. Do not leave the center seal out of the direct/reverse drum, as this can aggrevate the centrifuging situation. Set the clutch clearance at .060" - .080". This makes for a smoother reverse, by allowing the rear band to come on first instead of this clutch pack applying first. Also when making a 2-3 manual shift, it will allow the 2nd gear band to come off completely before the 3rd gear clutches come on, this will prevent the band from glazing.
PBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4l80e, auto, automatic, clutch, direct, drum, plate, rebuild, rebuilt, th400, thread, towing, trans, transmission, wave, waveplate