Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 TICKS very loudly

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default th400 TICKS very loudly

I just installed a brand new th400 and vigilante converter into my 00 Z28. Once I started the car it had a loud tick almost like a spun bearing, but it's coming from the transmission. It did it in all gears at first including park and neutral, but it started to quiet down after a short period of time. The car engages all gears and there is fluid going to and from the cooler so I'm assuming it's not a pump problem. If I rev the engine the tick speed increases with rpm. Any ideas what to check?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

make sure that your converter bolts aren't touching something.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

I just messed with it some more ... it only makes the noise when the throttle is opened, but if I engage the trans brake and rev it then it doesn't make any noise at all. Converter and flexplate would still be spinning during this condition so I don't think that's the problem.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

I played with the fluid level and got it right on the money. It got a little better but was still there. I took the car down the street and just babied it for a few minutes and it got better. Once I shut the car off and let it sit for a little while and restarted it the noise was almost gone. I drove it to school and after I came out from class and started the car to go home the noise was gone completely. I've put around 40 miles or so on it now with no noise or any unusual conditions. It still sort of worries me though considering it was a freshly built trans and I have never heard of a condition like this being normal. Any feedback?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

If it is still under warranty I would drive the **** out of it and see if it breaks.