Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 - A3 swap info needed (Yes I searched..alot)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 - A3 swap info needed (Yes I searched..alot)

Ok I am getting rid of the 4L60 and going to a TH400....finally. I have a couple questions.

1. I am installing a Hurst Quarter Stick with the pistol grip. Do I need to make any spacers to bring it to proper height to fit in the A4 console?

2. What have you guys used to trim your console? I want to have a nice clean look when I am done. I am afraid a dremel would leave burred edges behind.

3. There is a cable that connected to the stock shifter that runs under the pedals and up the steering column and stops half way up.
It was retained to the factory shifter bracket by a big gray connector that needed to be squeezed to be pulled out of the bracket, much like the shift selector cable. What is this cable?
I am looking on All Data Pro and it is not showing up at all. It is connected on the other side of what they are calling the "Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Solenoid".
Here is the diagram I am looking at:

I know that is not what it is because I already disconnected that.
The part I am referring to connected to the shifter assembly on the other side of the "interlock solenoid". It is connected to the shifter by a plastic clip that snaps onto a ball, like the shift selector is attached. The only difference is the is connected with a smaller black plastic fitting.

What should I do with this?

4. What have you guys done with your old harness that is now useless? Did you just cut it off, or wind it up and tuck it away?

Any other advise that can be given would be a great help. I already found the info on the reverse lights and the NSS.

TYIA!

Last edited by Wonderbread; 06-19-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned

My pictures I took with my cell phone came through after I typed this. Here are some pics of the cable that I was talking about:

here is where the cable connected (ball facing toward the left)

Here is a picture of the cable. It is the cable with the gray connector, the only big cable in the pic leaning toward the seat:

This is the hole that it went through in the bracket. The big squareish hole that looks like a telephone jack:

Mind the messy/dusty looking shifter. The hillbilly **** that owned the car before me was a freaking slob.

Last edited by Wonderbread; 06-19-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Banned

Ok so the cable is to lock the shifter in park. So I can just ditch that.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

im actually going through this same process right now, i just got the th400 and converter bolted in and started tearing apart my shifter to place a B&M hammer. so any answers to his questions would help me out as well, especially considering im not really that mechanically inclined.

Quick Reply: A4 - A3 swap info needed (Yes I searched..alot)