Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission and some other things

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission and some other things

Just bought an 02 Trans am and have a few questions. When I'm driving in first gear slowly and shifts into 2nd (I have an A4) it sounds like its a pretty loud shift. I mean I can hear the clanking from first to second, is that normal? Trans fluid is perfect looking. I had a V6 2000 camaro before this car and it wasn't as loud so just wondering if its normal.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Doesn't sound normal to me. Did you check your Trans mount? I had a similar problem before that turned out to be the Trans mount was loose. You might have something going wrong with your Trans and should probably get it checked out.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Wheres the trans mount at exactly? And how can I tell if its loose? Its only loud when im cruising at extremely low speeds... like say I am turning a corner at like 20mph or so and then hit the gas to bring it up to speed thats when it clanks and its loud! Is this the "lockup" in the trans or w/e? Thanks for the help
Old 06-23-2008, 02:40 AM
Staging Lane

im being told its prolly a trans mount + torque arm bushing, any other ideas before i take it in?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear

Are you shure its not the rear end sound can travel threw the driveline and make it sound like the trans.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Just dropped it off at Dominant Motorsports in Illinois today, hes taking a look at it and replacing the trans mount regardless. Ill update when I pick it up today.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

Well looks like its the rear end, trans and engine ( and trans/eng mounts ) checked out fine. He didn't open it up but said its 99% likely something in the rear. He said it would be around $750 to replace the stocker with some different gears and upgraded parts. $1500 to put in a 9 bolt or 12 bolt... which way should I go? I plan on a N/A motor with around 450hp - 500hp in the future years.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well your 10 bolt WILL break again, and if you can get a 12 bolt or a 9 inch installed for 1500, you better jump on that. They usually go for about 2000 + shipping. And thats with no labor charge of installation. If its gonna cost you 750 now, its gonna cost you 750 again. Maybe two days after you leave the shop, maybe two years. It will break though. And thats 1500 anyways. The 9 inch or 12 bolt is the stoutest your gonna get :-)
Old 07-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Little update here,

Dealership said they would replace the 10 bolt with a used one from a junkyard and offer me a warrant on it for 6 months. They paid a shop to swap out my 2.73 rear and put in a 3.42. Now I got the car back today and it doesnt make the clunking noise as much as before... the only time it does it is if im driving in a straight line about 40mph and then let off the gas to where im at around 1000 rpms and then punch it... it clunks loud then. Is this normal or should I take it back?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Has anyone checked the torque arm bushing its a likely place for that type of sound

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Before I had the rear replaced and such, I took it to Dominant Motorsports in my town and he said it looked fine (the torque arm bushing). He said it was most likely the rear end but wouldn't know unless he opened up the rear. With that being said, I'm going to go buy a replacement torque arm bushing and have it swapped with the one on the car now and see if theres an improvement. I also had a poly trans mount put in and i feel a lot more vibration now, is that normal?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes with the poly mount feeling more vibration is normal it does not have the shock absorbing abilities of the stocker

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'm gonna take it back in as its still making the noise, only on turns moreso than a straightaway. Sigh..
Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Sigh seriously this is pissing me off... I leave dinner tonight and am driving home. When I am in first gear and punch it to go, the sound is REALLY loud now... the clunking noise... I just had my entire rear end replaced with a stock 3.42 one so I know its not that. I replaced my trans mount with a poly one. The dealership I bought the car at gives me 3000 miles or 3 months (whichever comes first) on the engine and trans... could this possibly be the transmission? It only seems to happen in first or second gear
when it goes to shift. I am short on funds so I don't want to pay for something to be fixed if it isn't broken which I already did with the trans mount. I need some more input guys... thanks

Jeff

Also wanted to say, when I took it to the performance shop that did my trans mount and exhaust (Dominant Motorsports) the guy working on my car said the trans seem fined. I also took my car to a family friend who is a certified mechanic (works on old chevelles/camaros/vettes) and he said the trans seems fine... WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME!!! ugh!!

Last edited by Proofz; 07-03-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the polyurethane mount and install a factory original, OEM GM rubber mount under the transmission tailhousing. The poly mounts are junk. Always have been, always will be. They are not new to the market and serve no performance improvement... zero, zilch, nada, none. I cannot begin to count how many cars I have repaired simply by removing those inferior mounts.

Just because your rear axle was replaced does not mean that it is not the source of your problem. Is it a new part, remanufactured, rebuilt or a take out from a junkyard? If you do not know find out.

Then, take the car back to the guys who originally diagnosed it. Nobody hee can do that for you. Expect to pay them a diagnostic fee as they have done this once already for you. Then get back with us.

g
Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

Oh sorry.. just read your comments about getting an axle out of a junkyard.

Have that axle looked at by someone you trust, someone who will open it up and look at the backlash and pattern. Expect to pay for that. Probably around $100.00. If you don't do that you will not know what condition your "new" used axle is in.

g
Old 07-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

I currently have 3000 miles or 3 months limited warranty on engine/trans/drivetrain. I've already driven nearly 1000 miles so I've only got 2k miles left. If its something major i want it fixed for free obviously! After the holiday weekend (I have a wedding and such) I'll be taking it back to Dominant Motorsports to have the stock trans mount put in and to have them see what the hell is wrong with my car... its so frustrating because I can't even drive my car without the fear of breaking it. I feel like the entire car is going to fall apart every turn I take... blah $12,000 spent and cars already going into the shop... this doesnt sound like a transmission at all does it?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Took the car to Straightline Performance in Illinois today and the guys said its prolly the posi unit in the rear... im taking it in thursday and ill see whats up. Also, the rear end that was installed is LEAKING!!! What should I do about this?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:23 PM
FormerVendor

Well, the way I see it the outfit you purchased it from installed a used component. The car has been out of the shop for a few days or so. There is culpability on their part in my opinion.

I would start by calling the Service Manager and making him aware of your situation. Also, be prepared to provide him an Invoice from Straightline that offers their diagnosis. Ask him what they can or will do to remedy the situation. Chances are he'll tell you that they did what they were told to do by the Sales Dept. At that point ask to speak to the Used Car Sales Manager. Go through the same thing with him you did with the Svc Mgr.

I would ask that satisfactory repairs be made. To me, satisfactory repairs would include rebuilding the rear axle to factory original specifications. After all, do they stand behind the cars they sell?

The problem is two fold here... you most likely bought a used car "as is" with no warranty implied. They most likely made a repair out of goodwill. However, by making that repair they have allowed themselves to be responsible for he repairs for the time they said they would warranty those repairs.

That's the way I see it.

Good Luck.

g
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Cars been in the shop for about a week now, they think its the Posi unit in the rear... just trying to find a Posi 3.42 rear to swap in and they can't seem to find any... blah I miss my car :/