Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration in car

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration in car

Could a vibration from my Tq converter cause a vib in my car that comes and goes ,dont matter if it is in drive or in park ,just when it is in the high rpms in drive and starts in park around 1800rpms it vibes for a few secs th en it stops for a few secs .Would it be my torque converter bolts that might might be loose, need sometips before i start breaking it down to find it. the one thing i now for sure it aint nothing interal in the engine. Cause if it was it would have went 50,000 miles ago. NEED HELP!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I have seen engines vibrate for years and not blow , I would first since you need to check the converter bolts anyway way unbolt the converter from the flex plate and slide it back into the trans as far as possible then start the car and see if the vibration stops .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

I will be doing that sunday, and as soon as i find out i will repost my results!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

RESULTS!! I checked the converter bolts and they were loose (all 3), and when i put them in last which wasin march of this year, i put med. lock tight on the bolts and they have backed loose.and the flywheel were the bolts go though were wore at least 1/8in i9n the same direction on all 3 holes would this cause my vib in my car and what is causeing the bolts to back off!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

what flexplate do you have in there.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is definitely your vibration. It sounds like you need to install a new flexplate now and make sure to get the bolts tighter this time around.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

The flexplate that was in the car when i got it when i had to change the tranny i also changed the flexpate to cause the first plate had several cracks in it that started from the outside but none were from the inside(crank and going out)so i bought a flexplate from the local wrecking yard and it was off a 5.3 LS motor ,everything seemed to match just was a little better built ,the dif. between the to was the ring were the teeth were, the orig.one that was on the car looked thin and the one i bought to replace it with had a tooth ed ring that was added to the flexplate (like the old style flexplates on the old 350's) but i'm still tring to figure out why the tq bolts are still coming loose even with the locktight on them and yes i'm getting them tight, everything including the the tranny,converter and flex plate have been changed except for the tq converter bolts. the bolts looked fine so i guess i felt that they were ok . but evidently not,cause when i took the tq bolts out the first timke when i changed the flexplatethe were loose then,and still are coming loose now,but in the proscess it was making the holes wider then what they were suppose to be. so i guess my next step is to get a new flexplate and not a used one iguess or find a dang good one and make sure i get new bolts i guess and see if that solves my problem,LET'S HOPE!!!!!!and does it matter if it come off a LS1 or a 5.3 LS motor!!!!more helpful hints need!!