Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E 1-2 WOT Shift Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E 1-2 WOT Shift Issues

Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated on this.
First off.. Stock 1995 Camaro Z-28 with No After market Mods. Purposely kept stock. 190,000 Miles..

Fails a Solid Shift from 1-2 at 3/4 to WOT. Stays off the Rev Limiter but the shift is real slow. Will hold the tach at about 5000 RPM till I lift. Transmission fluid was Ok when I checked and replaced it today..

It also has a quirk to it at 45-50MPH where the car will start to "Pulsate" Feels like it keeps unlocking and relocking. Will only do this when outside temps are over 75 and the car is at operating temp.. The Hotter the worse it gets. But does not do it all the time.

Occasionally I will get a Service engine soon light that clears shortly after. No codes stored.. But one bit of history on the car. The service engine soon light has come on and not stored the code before. Chevy has experienced this first hand because I left the car with them for 3 weeks to fix an unrelated problem years ago. What would be a good code reader to get for in the car to try and catch the code when it comes on??

I know it has quite a few miles on it so it it time to look at replacing the tranny or could it be the VSS.. The pulsating issue is what bothers me more than not shifting at WOT but I might as well fix it all while I am tearing it apart..
Old 06-28-2008, 06:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well the WOT slow shift is it likely showing its age. But the pulsating and intermittent check engine light sounds like a engine misfire which may not set a code sometimes the check engine light will just come on or blink. I would have to go with engine misfire.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the reply..

Never really placed this issue with a misfire.. The engine runs perfect and does not give any signs of any problems after having the distributer replaced 20k miles ago.. I will check into it thou..

One other thing I forgot to mention that made me really think transmission was after driving a while when I would stop at a red light or stop sign the car would feel like it was in neutral and roll back if I was on a very small incline. If I bring the RPM up a little I will feel the transmission engage and it is fine to lift off the throttle as it will stay "locked" till i get to the next stop..

At first I thought it was slipping but it is defiantly not showing any signs of that except 1-2 WOT.. And that is not every time either.. When it does do the shift correct it will break the back tires free..
Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 AM

Update on This. For those that might be come across the pulsating between 3-4 with very slow WOT to 2nd.

Couple days ago as I pulled out of a parking lot and was between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle first was fine and when the car went for 2nd there was a loud (very disturbing) sound during the shift. Sounded like I was driving over a very bad set of rumble strips as the whole car vibrated and all forward momentum was gone. I lifted and waited for the shift to 3rd and once that happened all was fine.. Well at least until I went to 4rth and it felt like I was pulling a semi.. I dropped back to 3rd and the car came back to life. I knew 4rth was gone.
The car has first, second and third with no problem but no fourth..

I set up and appointment at Chevy for a look but I am pretty sure the transmission tanked hard and it is time to be replaced. I am planning on taking the pan off and checking for debris in the pan.

Most people here have a lot more experience with transmissions and I just wanted to ask if what I said sounds like a proper course of action on this and the transmission is probably gone or could there be something I should look at that I might be overlooking..

I have rebuilt transmissions a while back but don't remember coming across one that had 1-3 with no problems but no fourth at all. I remember one losing second and fourth at the same time but not just one of them.

Thanks..
Old 08-02-2008, 09:52 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that it is time for a new trans. Unless you are getting a code that is disabling 4th gear, I would suspect that your band is damaged. I understand that the band is for second and forth but in some cases you loose one or the other. I feel it is a clearance issue within the two servos. As far as the rumble strip feeling you are getting. I have seen where the valve body is worn and cause this. Basically the tcc regulator valve. Also in some cases a check ball for the second clutch gets suck in the separator plate and it causes the trans to act weird. I judge this info on my personal experience but what do I know! If you would like a built trans from us, feel free to give us a call. Our sales representative Andy will more than willing to discuss your options. Thank you for your time. Vince
Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CyborgNC
Update on This. For those that might be come across the pulsating between 3-4 with very slow WOT to 2nd.

Couple days ago as I pulled out of a parking lot and was between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle first was fine and when the car went for 2nd there was a loud (very disturbing) sound during the shift. Sounded like I was driving over a very bad set of rumble strips as the whole car vibrated and all forward momentum was gone. I lifted and waited for the shift to 3rd and once that happened all was fine.. Well at least until I went to 4rth and it felt like I was pulling a semi.. I dropped back to 3rd and the car came back to life. I knew 4rth was gone.
The car has first, second and third with no problem but no fourth..

I set up and appointment at Chevy for a look but I am pretty sure the transmission tanked hard and it is time to be replaced. I am planning on taking the pan off and checking for debris in the pan.

Most people here have a lot more experience with transmissions and I just wanted to ask if what I said sounds like a proper course of action on this and the transmission is probably gone or could there be something I should look at that I might be overlooking..

I have rebuilt transmissions a while back but don't remember coming across one that had 1-3 with no problems but no fourth at all. I remember one losing second and fourth at the same time but not just one of them.

Thanks..
Its also possible that the input sprag has failed locking in both directions this will give a normal 1-2-3 feel but will feel like the brake is applied on the 4th gear shift

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: 4L60E 1-2 WOT Shift Issues