Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift kit help please?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink shift kit help please?

Is it hard to put in a shift kit? I have a 1998 v6 camaro auto. Any links of where to buy and what kind would help. thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

I would recommend a transgo shift kit. I like mine not to hard when daily driving, but realy hooks up well when you want it to. As for install idk I had mine put in when I had my trany rebuilt.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I must say that if you have to ask if a shift kit is difficult to install it should be left to the professionals. Don't take it as a shot to your technical abilities... take it as good advice from a Professional!

The best kit on the market today (Trans-Go HD-2) can only be completely and properly installed if the transmission is completely disassembled. The shift circuits are redesigned and there are return springs for the apply pistons that should be replaced at the same time.

Now, some guys do not do anything other than the valve body modifications and wait to finish the kit when the unit fails. To each his own I say!

Good Luck with you mods!

g
Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Well, I must say that if you have to ask if a shift kit is difficult to install it should be left to the professionals. Don't take it as a shot to your technical abilities... take it as good advice from a Professional!

The best kit on the market today (Trans-Go HD-2) can only be completely and properly installed if the transmission is completely disassembled. The shift circuits are redesigned and there are return springs for the apply pistons that should be replaced at the same time.

Now, some guys do not do anything other than the valve body modifications and wait to finish the kit when the unit fails. To each his own I say!

Good Luck with you mods!

g
how much does it cost to have it installed by the pros?
Old 07-05-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's probably gonna be pricey because they will have to remove and open ur tranny to do the complete kit...
Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Question

Good Luck with you mods!

g
why do you have to take it out to install the whole kit? What happends if you just put in the valve body modifications?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's simple really.

If you want your transmission to live, it needs to be done. If you don't really care about how long it lives then just do the VB mods and keep the rest of the parts put away for the build.

There are components in the rotating assembly that are designed to work in conjunction with the VB mods. This is not an average run of the mill transmission that can be easily manipulated. It is dainty and fragile in the hands of amateurs... do a search and see how many guys install a shift kit and in a short period of time are asking what happened to their transmission.

Bottom line is, you can do anything you want to do with an automatic. Hell I know some guys that charge hundreds of dollars to block accumulators... the customer loves it cause it hits hard, and he loves it cause he knows it won't live long term and he'll get the build when it grenades.

If you do something half assed it will bite you every time, if you don't care whether it does or not then go for it! If you cannot afford to have your car down for repairs, don't do anything other than put gas in it.

If you want to play, do it right the 1st time or do it twice.

g
Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Talking

It's simple really.

If you want your transmission to live, it needs to be done. If you don't really care about how long it lives then just do the VB mods and keep the rest of the parts put away for the build.

There are components in the rotating assembly that are designed to work in conjunction with the VB mods. This is not an average run of the mill transmission that can be easily manipulated. It is dainty and fragile in the hands of amateurs... do a search and see how many guys install a shift kit and in a short period of time are asking what happened to their transmission.

Bottom line is, you can do anything you want to do with an automatic. Hell I know some guys that charge hundreds of dollars to block accumulators... the customer loves it cause it hits hard, and he loves it cause he knows it won't live long term and he'll get the build when it grenades.

If you do something half assed it will bite you every time, if you don't care whether it does or not then go for it! If you cannot afford to have your car down for repairs, don't do anything other than put gas in it.

If you want to play, do it right the 1st time or do it twice.

g
Thanks, i think ill wait on the shift kit and save up for a rebuild, then have it installed at that time, thanks again.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put a B&M one in my TH350 and im 16 aslong as you follow the instructions it goes very smoothly