Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 troubleshooting help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80 troubleshooting help!

This is actually the 4l80 out of my 2005 silverado hd with 40k miles... The truck's stock, I drive it hard, but it's not beat...

I left it sitting for a week straight and then went to pull it up into the driveway, put it in drive, and it just revved. The motor revved up way quicker than normal and the truck didnt move forward... After a minute or so of revving it up, it figured it out and pulled forward. (it's done that once before but only when I let it sit for a month)

it also seems to be pulling higher rpms when cruising. Higher than I remember anyway. It also seems to stall up quicker. (going from a 4500 stall in the Camaro, I really can't be more specific than that...) Almost like it will rev up quicker and higher before it starts to actually go anywhere... stock 6.0L sounds like a freight train... Anyway, the trans shifts perfect and doesnt' get hot.

Anyone have any ideas? We were thinking torque converter... but I don't want to pull the trans out and have that NOT be it...
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it sounds to me like it might be low on fluid, but I'm sure you've checked that.

Torque Converters stalls do not change. I would suggest that the symptoms are not related, but they certainly can be.

If you are throttling it up and there is not a good pressure signal to the clutch piston damage can occur. Then it will possibly slip at road speed.

But, I would suggest having it looked at by a professional before it gets worse.

Any warning lamps?

g
Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know stalls don't change.. but that's what it feels like, you know? like someone slipped a 3500 stall in there somehow...

I'll recheck the fluid level just to make damn sure that's not it...