Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Issues, please give me some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Issues, please give me some advice!

Ok guys, I'm sick of it, the last few weeks my tranny has been acting up. I have a '99 Z28 A4, cammed, with 3200 stall.... basically 1st gear is terrible. I will drive the car everyday and it will be fine, and then one day...(today for example) I drive about 5 miles to work and the WHOLE WAY it barely even wants to shift. Finally I came to a dead stop, put the car in 1st and slowly accelerated... around 2500rpms the car acted like it was not even in GEAR, so then I put my foot into it a little bit more, the car barely even goes at this point.... Yet last night I was out doing 0-80mph like it was nothing at WOT!

I don't get it..... .The car seems to down shift into 1st perfectly when I'm going like 25mph and step on it.

I guess what I am asking is, does this sound like the tranny is about freaking shot... is this considered "Slipping"

Where do I go from here... my wife is going to kill me when I tell her it's going to cost $2,000 to fix it!

The car makes about 350rwhp... I don't need a huge rebuild, I just need something that is going to take a beating once in a while and last!!

I could sure use some good advice!
Thanks guys!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I can help you with it. It sure sounds like it is leaving in 3rd gear, or another way to put it the unit is in Limp In mode for some reason. It will default to 3rd gear when there is a problem.

1st of all, you need to get a scanner of some sort on it and determine if the condition is monitored by the controller. Is your MIL lamp on?

2nd Check your fluid level and condition. The fluid condition will tell us allot.

3rd you don't need a "huge rebuild" if you don't plan to do horsepower improvement mods anytime in the near future.

4th and this is the most important.... call me. In a discussion we can determine the best course of action for you to take. I'll be in the shop all day tomorrow.

g
Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanks for your quick response... I will have to give you a call, the Check engine light is on, but that is because of the 02 sensors. I have a Diablosport turner, I am not getting any codes at all... The tranny cooler is just fine.

Like I said, I put the car in 1st gear and it still doesn't go all that well. My car just feels like it is losing HP left and right, feels like i'm getting like 25% to the rear wheels at times. other times it feels like 100% perfect... I will tell you that when I accelerate from a dead stop. sometimes I will get to 2500rpms and the car will just kind stall... .and then I put my foot into it and it catches and goes just fine... I'm just so freaking sick of it.

I live in Utah if anyone near by can help that would be great!!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you have some electrical issue setting limp mode when in limp mode even if you place the car in manual 1 the lowest gear you will get it 2nd likely when you pull the codes you will find the answer

Call 888-744-6542