Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto tranny build?? advice on my picks

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation auto tranny build?? advice on my picks

ok this is what i am thinking, for now i am going to go with the TCI Pro Super Kit to get everytihing back to good standings and either the Breakaway or Street Fighter torque converter which do yall think is better? i dont want a large stall at most 2600 or something around there if they dont make a 2600( dont know very much about auto trannys).

this will also be a street car and driven occasionally on the highway so i still want drivability. what else besides these choices can i do to beef up this tranny. please school me in this i need it. thanks in advance.

just to add right now with the head and cam package going on i will only be putting down just over 400 i think to the rear wheels maybe not even that. the head and cam package is just the 241 LS1 heads fully CNC'd ported & polished and a valve job which flow(the guy stated) 300 CFM with a cam that will have a lift of 600(springs rated at 650) with 1.7 roller rockers and duration of 224 or 228. i have to get more info from the guy later to confirm this on this package cause i lost my specs to it. other mods are in my sig.

had this in the wrong forum i think. it was in newbie tech, so if any moderators see it there could you please delete it thanks.

James
Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the TCI is an okay converter even though i would suggest going with a better brand converter like a vigilante, yank or even circle D. i would suggest going with a 3200 stall as the smallest. im running a vigilante 3200 and its good so far.

i dont know how good TCI can make a good tranny, but i would definitely hit up our sponsors like ACE,FLT, performabuilt for a tranny. some of them even have built trannies and converters installed too.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Banned

You may not want a high stall but what do your heads and cam want?

You need to get a converter that matches the heads/cam/power range. Even stock engines benefit from 3000+ rpm converters.

If you don't know transmissions and plan to build one don't start with a 4L60E, especially with a TCI kit.
You're going to need a few special tools, that adds to the price. Never have done it increases the odds of it not working right and destroying itself and the converter. Add the cost of all that and add the cost of one already built VS just one already built.
You're better off with one already built with a warranty.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Ah the tci kit is ok, it has regular alto clutches in it and a pretty good set of rubbers and seals. The 3-4 clutch pack that comes with it is a pos though.

Honestly, just get circle d's rebuild kit for the 4l60e it is almost exactly what I use when I do a 60e. Its much pricier than the tci kit but it fixes all the sin thats built into a stock 4l60e and honestly you'll probably end up buying the extra parts anyways.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6t3rror
Ah the tci kit is ok, it has regular alto clutches in it and a pretty good set of rubbers and seals. The 3-4 clutch pack that comes with it is a pos though.

Honestly, just get circle d's rebuild kit for the 4l60e it is almost exactly what I use when I do a 60e. Its much pricier than the tci kit but it fixes all the sin thats built into a stock 4l60e and honestly you'll probably end up buying the extra parts anyways.
Thanks, and don't forget we have a special on the kit.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/955683-new-4l60e-rebuild-kit-circle-d.html

Chris
Old 07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah to enyone thinking i was going to rebuild it myself no way in hell! i wouldnt attempt that to save my life lol. but i am going to have a shop do the work but i will be installing the converter. just wanting to get some ideas on which brands to buy and what to buy.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
yeah to enyone thinking i was going to rebuild it myself no way in hell! i wouldnt attempt that to save my life lol. but i am going to have a shop do the work but i will be installing the converter. just wanting to get some ideas on which brands to buy and what to buy.
This very same question came up recently.
It's never a good idea to bring your parts to a builder, for one they may not be familiar with them, and two if something goes wrong you can forget about a warranty because your part that they wouldn't have used failed. (perfect excuse even if it wasn't the case)

Another thing is a qualified builder should be able to select the parts.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would agree, If your having someone build the trans for you let them get the parts, If they dont know what they should get then find someone else to build it. Or you may consider just getting a trans from us or one of the sponsors here including circle D or if you do plan to let your builder do it have them order the parts from circle D just my opinion I have seen this situation go wrong many times

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
This very same question came up recently.
It's never a good idea to bring your parts to a builder, for one they may not be familiar with them, and two if something goes wrong you can forget about a warranty because your part that they wouldn't have used failed. (perfect excuse even if it wasn't the case)

Another thing is a qualified builder should be able to select the parts.
I agree, we won't work on something when we can't supply parts. To many questions if something goes wrong. Plus we have markup in the parts so we can stay in business. I have a kit for the DIY kind guy. It is also a good reference for a performance kit, if you were trying to build your own kit.

Chris
Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Launching!

PM me if you're interested in a FLT Level 5 and Vig 3200 triple disk converter with 10 passes on each. Won't be anywhere near as cheap as a shift kit and lower model converter, but it'll be bulletproof for you. I'm up in Phoenix.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

see there is the thing since i just closed on building a house i dont have alot of extra cash laying around so i was trying to do a budget thing but still get good prices. if i could afford a new tranny for the car right now trust me id go fully built but just not in the budget(trying to get a tranny for the truck right now 4500<-- holy hell! but that will hold over 1000 HP to the wheels hell yeah). so any more suggestions would be great does anyone know of a reputable shop in the Tucson or near Tucson area i could even take the car to Phoenix if i had to.

Crashinaz PM me with the prices youd want for each of them and i can see what i might be able to scrounge if possible.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

How much is in your budget for this trans?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

not alot to be throwing at parts i am going to end up replacing later you know. i talked with crashinaz and i think will be going that way so thanks to all of you for your help.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
not alot to be throwing at parts i am going to end up replacing later you know. i talked with crashinaz and i think will be going that way so thanks to all of you for your help.
And thats why I don't take the time to type up a long list, because these threads usually end up as a nevermind after the fact.
Glad you found something you can work with.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry bud i didnt mean for it to end that way but i still would like to know why my tranny feels like it shudders when i accelerate hard(from 1st or 2nd dont really notice anything over that) with or without traction control on my guess is its slipping just dont know where. would a converter fix this or would i need a rebuild kit? i just checked the fluid and it isnt low actually with it hot it was a little high i think(past the hash marks into the wording) but it didnt smell funny or look burnt in any way.

<-----(im sure this had nothing to do with it )

also at around 2000 RPM im not sure which side high or low cant remember off the top of my head it feels like it is shaking(i feel a slight vibration that i didnt feel before), definatly when i rev it up in neutral or park. plus it has a tendancy to be in 1st or 2nd operating range with my foot about a 3rd in it and when i give it half throttle or more it shifts up lugs then downshifts and goes it doesnt do it all the time though. i read somewhere that this could be my TPS but how would i know and how expensive is it to fix(how much does the sensor cost)? but that wouldnt cause all the shuddering.