Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro shifting hard after transmission shop increased the line pressure!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro shifting hard after transmission shop increased the line pressure!!!

I took my car to an automotive transmission shop in Las Vegas, NV to have them install a B & M performance transmission shift enhancer kit for my 2000 Camaro Z28 5.7L V8 automatic. Since I don't have a six speed this is about the only way for me to have a little more kick without having to spend more money. Instead, things didn't end up as planned. The shop technician guru told me that my Camaro I have which is automatic didn't need the B & M shift enhancer kit. He said all that B & M stands for is "Big Money" and has a result I went with his plan and all he did was drop the transmission pan and adjust the line pressure to the transmission. Then he proceeded to put a new filter on and transmission gasket along with new fuild. Since day one the car shifts harder to where I have to put the breaks down firm just to put the car into first gear/drive mode. It also shifts hard in the first gear when driving. The only way the car feels like it's shifting firmer is when I'm driving in second or third gear. Other then that the experience sucks! I have a couple of questions to ask in regards to this matter as follows...

1.) Did the transmission tech have to drop the valve body down in order to adjust the line pressure on the transmission or not?

2.) Will this effect premature wear out the transmission sooner then later?

3.) Can this process be reversed back to the stock settings?

If the transmission tech didn't have to drop the valve body down just to increase the line pressure then I would assume the process would be simple for someone to just decrease the line pressure back to stock the next time I have the fluid and filter changed on the transmission. Note, it didn't take the transmission tech very much time to do the work. I was in and out like clock work! Please advise...thank you!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Excessively raising line pressure is the wrong way to get firmer shifts , As it will cause harsh engagements in PRND that are not nessesary.
If all he did was turn up the line using the PCS it is reversible simply by pulling the pan and turning the set screw in middle back down though since you don't know how far he turned it I would just replace the PCS.
A firm shift like you get with a shift kit is a good thing but just turning the line up either with the PCS or in tuning is not the answer.
If it only took him a few minute then thats likely all he did I would replace the PCS and then have a shift kit installed but bear in mind where the shift kit wont give the harsh engage into drive and reverse it will still give quite firm up shifts and this is a good thing for the trans, Most shift kits have various levels you can set them to for different feels.
While shift kits do raise the line a little they rely more on fluid volume than pressure to achieve the goal

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the valuable information. I have yet a couple of more questions to ask you in regards to this matter.

Did the Transmission tech have to drop the valve body on my Camaro in order to adjust the line pressure? That information was never verified for the record. Please advise...thanks!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I doubt it. There are really only two ways I can think of to raise line,
Turn the set screw clockwise in the PCS or install a larger boost valve in the pump both of which can be done without removing the valve body

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Great! Thanks again for the information posted! This forum is by far the best for support and an ever growing knowledge base. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3dfuzion
Great! Thanks again for the information posted! This forum is by far the best for support and an ever growing knowledge base. Thank you!
yaeh what he said
Old 07-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Question, how much would a 98-02 Camaro PCS cost to replace just for the stand alone part? Also, what does the PCS part look like? Please advise...thank you!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I doubt it. There are really only two ways I can think of to raise line,
Turn the set screw clockwise in the PCS or install a larger boost valve in the pump both of which can be done without removing the valve body
Question, how much would a 98-02 Camaro PCS cost to replace just for the stand alone part? Also, what does the PCS part look like? Please advise...thank you!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its the largest solenoid on the valve body, black and round its around 45-65 dollars depending on where you get it, And its easy to replace no more difficult than a fluid change really

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Update: Another thing I've noticed when shifting into first gear is that the "Low Track" light will display on the dashboard. This only happens when starting to drive in first gear. Anyway, at other times it doesn't pop-up with the display "Low Track" 2nd and 3rd gear feel smooth and firm when shifting but first feels like ****. Please advise....thank you!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:00 AM
11 Second Club

Your low traction light is engaging because your tires are spinning from the hard shift.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Yes, that makes since..thanks!

Quick Reply: Camaro shifting hard after transmission shop increased the line pressure!!!