Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would high ATF fluid levels cause shuddering? (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation would high ATF fluid levels cause shuddering? (long post)

hey yall i ran my car the other day at idle(for quite a while) and around the block once to get it up to temp( idea: dont grab the dip stick to check if hot it will be schorching) so i could check my fluid level in my tranny.

to fill yall in in first through second maybe third and fourth but i cant notice it i feel my car shuddering badly when i accelerate hard or at WOT traction control on or off to see if it was trying to limit it and cause the slip. same thing happened every time i tried it(not a bunch). it shuddered pretty good like it was slipping and the other day it hung in first when i had it out of overdrive and hit it WOT from a stand still till i let out and then it shifted. i also feel a vibration around 2K cant remember if it is over or under but i think 2K and just over when i am driving down the road. i also feel this shudder when i rev the car to 2K or just over.

well my question is what is causing this? i checked my fluid as i said and it wasnt low it was actually past the hash marks into the wording on the stick. could high fluid levels cause this shaking? i smelled the fluid and it smells and looks brand new(cause i changed it not too long ago with a new filter and i cleaned out the pan with a new gasket i used the dextronIII as it says to) i figured if it was slipping the fluid would smell burned and would be darker than what it is. it is still the clear redish color. what is going on??????
Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If the level is very high you can have air bubbles in the system from it which can cause eractic pressures and slipping shuddering.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

ill post a pic of the fluid level on the dip stick this afternoon and see what you think about it being high cause its up there.

by the way i think i forgot to add that my car when i am crusing from a light at half throttle it stays in first or second whichever i happen to be in at the time and if i am at half throttle or less and i increase to about 3/4 or close WOT(just to speed up but stay in the same gear) it will shift up lug and then down shift and go. it doesnt do it so much closer to WOT but it does happen and overall this problem doesnt happen all the time. but more often than i like.

Last edited by usaf_hess; 07-24-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey i drained off the fluid and then added the right amount in and it now sets half way in the hash marks when hot so were good there but i still feel a shuddering like it is slipping. would running the fluid that high for any peroid of time with pretty hard driving cause the converter to balloon and not be as effecient afterwards when fixed?

i have what i thought was blow by or a sticking valve pumping smoke through the oil fill point, well turns out it aint smoke its steam and i have a bad head gasket, intake gasket or something what do you think? the motor is also running like it has a misfire but it doesnt cause i scanned it with my laptop and ls1 edit. could the coolant getting in the cylindar be causing that feeling?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would say yes it certainley could cause that feeling

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-25-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

but what about the converter is it fine after running too much fluid pretty hard?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

it would be very unlikely that to much fluid would do any damage to the converter.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

sweet thats good to know but i still have a vibration and my fluid is exactly where it should be.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

With the engine having issue it rather than the trans may very well be the source of your vibration its something to consider

Call 888-744-6542