Sponsored by:

2-4 servo housing cracked open

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-4 servo housing cracked open

Hello all!

I finally got my 4l60e back in the car today (after installing all new clutches including 3/4 powerpack and steels, transgo shift kit, beast sunshell, new reverse input drum) and on the road, took it for a "test drive" made it about 5 miles before tons of smoke and loss of power to the wheels, felt like it was slipping like mad, rolled about 1/2 a mile and stopped.

The smoke I had seen was tranny fluid that had sprayed over my exhaust, the underneath of my car is covered in it, I first suspected a cooler line had come loose but further inspection showed the 2-4 servo housing had cracked around where the servo cover retaining ring goes.

What could of caused this? could it of been a weak spot? or is it due to what I've done to the tranny?

I know I've now got to take it back out and find a new shell but need to know if its likely it was a fault with the case or something I could of done.

The part of the case that's cracked has come completely off.

feel really gutted now, my car has been off the road since January
Old 07-27-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

that really sux vato!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Unfortunately this is a common if the ring is not fully seated in case with each apply of the servo the ring will push out a little and once the ring works out far enough it will break the case and out comes the servo, Seen it on many occasions after a servo swap.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Teching In

ahh right, should I of put a new ring in? it felt like it seated but I guess it hadnt! was a PITA to get out as it was fairly well stuck in place.

The servo didnt pop all the way out, just far enough to dump loads of fluid everywhere.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:18 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a good practice to make sure that there is not any crap/oxidation in the snap ring groove before installing the ring. I have seen where these debris actually will keep the ring from not fully seating. Also as mentioned above the ring in some cases is just not fully installed. I always clean the snap ring on a wire wheel, clean the groove very well, and then make sure to use a screw driver to make sure that it is fully installed. I personally have never had a ring come out on me using this method. Then again I worked many good builders when learning to do this kind of work. I learned from not only them but from their mistakes. Vince
Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Teching In

oh well, a lesson learned the hard way! I hadnt seen anything about this before so didnt realise.
I shall on my next one spend a bit more time making sure that the groove is clean and the ring is properly seated!

Could I of damaged anything else? there is still fluid in the trans and it didnt run for long after it blew.
I shall strip my old box down when I get a new case but just curious if I should look out for anything else.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:09 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

As you stated it felt like it had a loss of power to the rear wheels. I'm sure you might find some burn marks in the friction materials. I guess you will have to see when you get it apart. Vince
Old 07-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Teching In

yeah I thought that might be the case

Thanks to both of you, least now I know what went wrong and how I can try to stop it from happening next time!
Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Not a problem. Good luck. Vince
Old 07-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Teching In

thanks! I just wish the cases were as easy to come by over here! probably gonna have to get one shipped from the states.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started my car up after installing these servos the other day... didnt drive the car but ran it on jack stands, and it pushed the snap ring out and leaked fluid... I hope the case isnt cracked. I did not drive the car, and I swear I had it seated right.

Quick Reply: 2-4 servo housing cracked open