Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with converter install, input shaft grinds when spining manually? Big story

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with converter install, input shaft grinds when spining manually? Big story

Hello guys haven't been on the site in a long while, long time member here.

So I have a 98 TA stock trans took a dump after a couple nitrous runs, so I got a good deal on a stock 02 4l60e with only 20k babyed miles. Put that in for about amonth did a 12.2 @118 1/4 mile with only n20 lid and catback stock tune. Then I bought another 60e from a memeber on here that said the trans was built also a 4k stall PTC converter, put in a tune for the stall ran a 12.9 on motor & 11.7 with n20. I had a nitrous backfire and after that, the trans took a dump gave me a solenoid code & replaced it and no luck.

So car's been parked for a few months with no motivation on working on it, so I finally decided to install the 02 60e that I've had laying around with the ptc converter, hoping it's still good... Trying to give these 60e trans another chance before I think about a 350 or 400. So Im about to finish the install of the 02 60e with ptc converter with everything bolted up, and just need to install converter bolts. Come to find out the converter is hitting the flexplate no gap at all, so with no chance of getting it seated with trans installed I take it down. So as much as I tried I couldn't get it to seat with the 3 clicks, when spining it on trying to get the 3rd click it would get stuck and hard to turn. So I know somethings up, I try putting the stock converter to see if that goes in with any issues and I think I got it all the way in but it gets stuck and doesn't spin freely it needs force to get it to spin... Then I took the ptc converter and installed it on the trans I just pulled out (supposed built 60e) and I got it to go in with 3 clicks and it spins. So Im lost here, only thing I can think of is that maybe something got bent like the input shaft, because the converter was stuck to the flexplated pretty tight with everything bolted up I doubt that did any good to anything. I then tried spining the input shaft of the trans that is having the converter issues and it spins but I can hear it grinding, noise is coming from inside transmission... So I try doing the same thing with the trans that came down (supposed built 60e) and it spins but only sqeaks this trans seems like it spins more freely than the other.
So I don't know what this means if it even makes sense to anybody.lol
Sorry for the longstroy guys and gals, but Im not trying to leave anything out here. If you guys could help me out or point me in the right direction of pin pointing the problem I'd greatly apprecaite it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly doubt that you bent an input shaft installing a trans. Two things come to mind. Either you have the wrong converter for your application. Meaning it is for a LT1 not a LS1. Or when you bolted everything up you did not have the converter in all the way and broke the pump.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

It must have slipped my mind and I dind't put the converter in all the way, or when lifting the transmission up to mount it, the converter came foward and undid itself from the 3 clicks. I don't know how I dind't bother checking to make sure the converter had the gap after lifting and before bolting everything up. My small but big mistake, worst feeling ever. lol
When I was about to get teh flexplate lined up to install converter bolts I saw the TC was against the FP and had no chacne of moving it or making it slip back it was tight.
Well I probaly didn't bend the shaft and all the slits on the shaft look fine and doesn't lool crooked, but the converter is for a LS1 application, which only leavs it to a bad pump.
Im not the brightest when it comes to the hard parts of a transmission, so I need some help please.
How do go about finding out if I have a bad pump?
How would not seating the converter right mess up a pump?
Also is the grinding sound realated to a bad pump, kind of worried that it may have messed up other things inside?
Is changing out the pump and doesn't require any "special tools"? I've pulled apart a LT1 trans for fun once since it was bad and was just curious to see inside, but I doubt I'd be able to install everything back in.
Could I use the pump from my old transmission that went bad on me?

Thanks apprecaite the help.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I called one trans shop to see how much they would charge to swap out the pump and they said around $200 but wouldn't know for sure untill tommarow cause the shop owner wasn't in. I guess they must of thought I wanted a new one?

Is there anything special or I should know about if I decide to do this myself, or should I not even touch it and let a trans shop handle it?
Thanks